Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to I make a face or faces here?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
JohnLancaster
1244 Views, 5 Replies

How to I make a face or faces here?

I need to put a face or faces on the bottom of this chest, and I'm not really sure how, I'm still learning all the modeling tools. 

I need to put a face on the bottom of this that is connected to all the vertexex.

chest bottom.png

Failrly detailed instuctions would be nice. 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Select the edges down 2 parallel sides and then go to "Edit Mesh" and select "bridge" (to adapt the settings click the box next to it and set the faces to 0) if you want to keep up topolgy go back to "edit mesh" and select the interactive split tool (can also go to your modelling tool kit and select the "multi cut" tool, using either of these select the vertex of the side that you didn't select to create a bridge and then click the vertex on the opposing side, click enter to complete this and then repeat down the line. This will just ensure that the lines are all conected properly. 

If that's a little bit bundled just let me know, I could probably find some screenshots of what I mean

Message 3 of 6

"interactive split tool"
There is no such tool to be found in maya 2015
"multi cut tool"
only works on existing geometry, it wont work across an empty void.  
"Bridge tool"
will not do anything, it just smaks an error in the console. I used it exaclty as you said.  
// Error: file: D:/Program_Files/autodesk/Maya/Maya2015/scripts/others/drInit.mel line 4271: Invalid Selection. The number of components in the selected regions must be the same.

nothing I've tried has worked.

EDIT: Just checked to make sure my edges are not accidentally double, they're not. Still having issue.

Message 4 of 6
damaggio
in reply to: JohnLancaster

Try this....look at the tools on the modeling toolkit from Nex in Maya 2014 and 15.

Message 5 of 6
halfstone
in reply to: JohnLancaster

You're having trouble because by bridging in the way you want will create non-manifold geometry, which is not good for a variety of reasons.  

Non-manifold geometry is when three faces share a common edge; it will give you problems in further modeling (booleans, for example), texturing (the model can't be unfolded) and deformations, to name a few things.  

You need to delete the bottom faces of this model and create an inner floor and an outer floor.  See my draw-over for detail.  

Bridging is not the only way to do this - once you have deleted the bottom faces you can use the "Append to Polygon" tool or you can double-click the edge loop and use "Fill Hole".  You'll need to split the new polygons so that the existing edges connect on either side - so you should probably do the inner one first (just so you can modify it without the outer one getting in the way).  

Message 6 of 6
JohnLancaster
in reply to: halfstone

Worked perfectly! A technique I will remember, also you get a cookie for the VERY helpful visual you made for me!
You not only solved my problem, but gave me the knowledge to never repeat my mistake again!

Thanks man! YOU ROCK!

Smiley LOL

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report