Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I change move axes from global to local?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
BobBKew
43149 Views, 3 Replies

How do I change move axes from global to local?

Pretty much what it says here at the top. I'm wondering how I could chnge the move gizmo's axes from global to a local mode, with reference to the object/sub-object's orientation. 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Steve_Curley
in reply to: BobBKew

Select the Move Tool, just to the right of it (on the main toolbar) is a drop-down list which probably says "View". Expand that list and select Local.
Note. By default the 3 Transform tools (Move/Rotate/Scale) each have their own Coordinate Systems - switching between the tools also switches the Coordinate System. This makes using the tools much more flexible, but can also be confusing when you're not expecting it. This is also true at sub-object levels, but to make things even more confusing they are separate from those used at the Object level.
I would play with the possibilites in a test scene to become familiar with them, and remember that the Coordinates Center button (next to the drop-down list) also affects the way these tools work (especially Rotation).

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 4
BobBKew
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Oh, thanks! So that's what the list was for! I suppose there's also a way to bind it to a hotkey?
Message 4 of 4
Steve_Curley
in reply to: BobBKew

Not sure whether you can bind the drop-down list itself, but the individual options within it you can.
Customise > Customise User Interface > Keyboard (tab). Scroll down the big list and you'll see entries like "Local Coordinate System", "View Coordinate System" etc.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report