Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with smoothing?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
phic901
290 Views, 4 Replies

Help with smoothing?

I am very beigner. My book is dealing with maya 5.0 but the version I use is 2014.

In the book, after converting Polygon to Subdivision, you can see the smoothing differences by

pressing 1,2,3. And 3 is fine smooth it says. It also worked as same way when I used it on Polygon

mode, but when I did convert Polygon to Subdivison, it just dosen't work. I can't tell the

difference. Just same.  I have a no idea. I can't move forward because of this. It's driving me crazy..

Do you guys think that I should buy new book or .... Please help me.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
tdHendrix
in reply to: phic901

Hi, hitting the 1, 2, 3 smoothing shortcut doesn't work on subdivision surfaces for me either. That shortcut must be for only polygon models.

To see the subdivision model at a higher res you can select the model, go to the Attribute Editor, and click the tab for the model's shape node (it might be named polyToSubdShape1 or something like that). Click on the Subdiv Surface Display option to open the drop down menu and change the Resolution from 1 to 3.

Also, Maya 5.0 is really old and there have been a lot of changes since then. I would recommend you get a more up to date book Smiley Happy

Greg Hendrix - Senior Technical Animator
LinkedIn : Twitter
Message 3 of 5
_sebastian_f
in reply to: tdHendrix

your book was right. until maya 2013 i think this shortcut was working but not anymore. also you maybe noticed that the menus for subdivision surfaces have been removed. they are not really continued and i think they will maybe completely gone one day. so i think it´s not really worth to learn them. lets see what the announced openSubdiv´s will bring. usually i don´t say something like this but in case of maya 5.0 book i agree with tdHendrix it´s really too old. get something more actual.
Message 4 of 5
phic901
in reply to: tdHendrix

Thank you tdHendrix. It was very helpful!
Message 5 of 5
phic901
in reply to: _sebastian_f

Yeah.. I guess you are right..I should buy new book! Thank you 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report