Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature Requests: Cap Mapping and Slice Functionality.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
lightcube
1031 Views, 2 Replies

Feature Requests: Cap Mapping and Slice Functionality.

I know we are supposed to use UserVoice, which I'm posting too shortly... this is to add images (you can't do in UserVoice) and perhaps drive votes to UserVoice.

I'd like to see some functions that would aid some of the things I work on regularly. The scenario these two are used are often in tandem, so I'm describing them both in a single thread here.

Cap Mapping is almost always Useless

In almost all instances where I've used the Cap function (either as a modifier or in the Border mode of Editable Poly) the results invariably require effort to fix.

Here is an example of an object that was split and the interior open borders were capped.

cap-results.png

That is never the expected result!

Here is something far more appropriate:

cap-expected-results.png

Although the program cannot know automaitcally which edge to use for a UV-flow, it should be able to use the first edge in the border to create a flow. It should also be able to detect a planar surface and use planar mapping coordinates. Vote for this functionality on UserVoice.

Slice Functions need some more functions

I'd like there to be a couple enhancements to Slice.

1) Add a new option like the Split option in Epoly properties called Cap* that is specifically for slice (*so named appropriately to not be confusing with the current Cap in epoly). This would consolidate the actions of cutting up an object and having to cap open borders. It should force the split to immediately apply a cap to the open borders. Request this on Uservoice.

This solves the problem of trying to cut an object into elements while trying to keep the object composed of convex sub-elements. Currently, you need to take several steps for each slice because, if you do not immediatly go cap, and then make a nother slice that crosses the plane of a previous slice, you will create a border that is not planar--and when capped is often not the desired results. It also makes the planar mapping suggestion mentioned above even more relevant because you should be able to make cuts that retain some form of mapping consistency and flow.

2) Slice Modifier Slice Plane should be updated to have a Quick Slice mode to more quickly draw the plane of a slice. The current slice plane is not convenient for scenarios when you want to slice from one specific point to another (as you can do in QuickSlice). As the Slice Modifier is convenient for using on multiple objects, I would like QuickSlice rolled into the standard slice plane UI (so the user can decide to define the plane with the slice plane gizmo, or draw the transformation of the slice plane). Vote for this on UserVoice.

Shawn Olson

Developer of Wall Worm
3ds Max plugins and Scripts

3ds Max 4/Gmax - 3ds Max 2020
Mudbox 2009-2019

Windows 10 x64
i7 8700K
64GB RAM
Geforce 1080ti
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Thank you for your input.  Hopefully you included the link to this post in your post on User Voice.  Have a good day.

Message 3 of 3
lightcube
in reply to: lightcube

Since Uservoice is gone and because the above links no longer work, here are updated links to this discussion in Ideas:

Cap Mapping Improvements

Slice Function Improvements

Shawn Olson

Developer of Wall Worm
3ds Max plugins and Scripts

3ds Max 4/Gmax - 3ds Max 2020
Mudbox 2009-2019

Windows 10 x64
i7 8700K
64GB RAM
Geforce 1080ti

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report