Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extrude problem

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
leofang0808
2948 Views, 14 Replies

Extrude problem

I wanted to extrude this door inward but it looks like it extrudes both sides. How can I solve this problem? Thank you

Screen Shot 2014-07-09 at 1.01.44 AM.pngScreen Shot 2014-07-09 at 1.02.28 AM.png

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
horge_to_maya
in reply to: leofang0808

Your Mesh is not clean --> The normals facing in both directions (maybe you have executed an extrusion with no transform, so you have more than one quad at the same place)

1. Mesh--> Cleanup

2. Normals--> Conform

3. Try again an extrusion

good luck!

Message 3 of 15

Can anyone help with this in a little more detail? I have exactly the same problem.  And in regards to more than quad in a single place I began to move what I thought was a single verticee. Choosing the 'same' point each time I moved it out along the x-axis and it was just copy after copy.

This was the result and I could have kept going..

Message 4 of 15

Anyone?
Message 5 of 15

Hi,

it´s a little bit like calling the doctor for help ... he can´t figure out your problem on the phone. Can you export the problematic part of the scene as *.mb and attache it?

good luck

Message 6 of 15

Remeber to Zip it first or it won't attach.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 7 of 15

The file should be attached.  After having another look at it, the geometry has made duplicates of itself on top of itself.  You can seperate these, move a copy out of the way delete the rest then reset the postion back to 0 so its in its original position. However it still extrudes in weird positions, and when moving a single vert there is still more hidden underneath as shown in the screenshot? 

Message 8 of 15

I could manually merge every vert on there but that would take forever and there must be an easier and proper way to sort this out.

Plus I'd love to know how I managed such a c*ck up.. and how to avoid doing it again

Message 9 of 15

Try, what I ve done (picture below) - I cant save out the file (I have no personal learning edition) ...

and search the manual for "non-manifold geometry" - and check your modelling-process to avoid these problems ...

http://help.autodesk.com/view/MAYAUL/2015/ENU/

good luck

Message 10 of 15
leofang0808
in reply to: horge_to_maya

Problem solved! Really appreciate! Smiley Very Happy

Message 11 of 15
aaronharvey94
in reply to: leofang0808

Im still having issues with it not extruding correctly, how have you made what I assume is the direction of the normals visable.  

Message 12 of 15
leofang0808
in reply to: aaronharvey94

The extrude problem comes from one faces sharing 2 normals.  clean up function helps to clean extra normals

Select all faces- go to mesh- clean up- in the remove geometry choose lamina faces.  

Message 13 of 15

You can dsiplay the normals under Display-->Polygons-->Face Normals ...

Check the other options for polygon-related display ... very usefull sometimes ...

good luck

Message 14 of 15

Right that seems to have cleared everything up but as before still not extruding correctly. Would anyone be able to take the steps I have in the previous posts and then extrude as shown in this video at around 5:00. http://www.digitaltutors.com/tutorial/1266-Automotive-Modeling-in-Maya#play-32117

I have a different pivot point..

On the left as seen in Digital Tutors and on the right is my version

My First Extrude

My Second Extrude

The pivot point changes again when extruding the second time.

Message 15 of 15

Your modell looks a little bit different from the model in the tutorial. More foldings and so

If you extrude faces, they new faces move in the direction of the normals. this can cause bad geometry. If the geometry is too complex or you extrude it too far, ther can be happen overlapping faces, unwanted foldings, etc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report