Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Explode to quads, how?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
ivan_iliev
425 Views, 4 Replies

Explode to quads, how?

Folks,

Are there a way to explode to “Quad” polygons instead of “Triangles” in Editable Mesh? (See Attachment).

When I do explode any selected Polygons, I get triangle faces but not “quad” polygons.
It doesn’t seem to be a bug, it is surely by design. Anyway the tool is not absolutely perfect and what is the use of it if on can get only faces from the selection.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Steve_Curley
in reply to: ivan_iliev

Change the Angle in the entry field to the right of "Explode" to a positive value then you will get a detached Quad instead of a Tri.
0 seems (to me) to be a "special case" though it's not mentioned in the User Reference.
Max9 Reference -> Surface Modeling -> Meshes -> Edit Geometry Rollout (Mesh) - almost at the bottom of that page.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 5
ivan_iliev

Thank you Steve, “0” is just the way to get “Triangles” if you like this. Not bad! 🙂

ivan
Message 4 of 5
Byteman

Hi

After 7 years I'm facing the same problem as yours and found the conversation however changing the value to a positive number doesn't work. Am I missing something or it just doesn't work on Max 2015?

Message 5 of 5
ekahennequet

Hi Ivan! 🙂

I just use the Split tool in Edit Poly or Editable Poly instead of Explode in EMesh. Select all edges (or just the ones you want to break) and choose Split. Works well for me. 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report