Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dirt in Corners effect

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
dlhartley
646 Views, 4 Replies

Dirt in Corners effect

Seems like I ran across this awhile back, but I can't seem to find it now.
Isn't there a way to accentuate darkness in the nooks and crannies of, say, a furniture piece. Sort of like ambient occlusion, but more pronounced, as if there was accumulation of dark stuff there.

Thanks,
David
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
WobiNich
in reply to: dlhartley

Invert the normals of your model and then bake an ambient occlusion texture and use that as a mask or whatever...
Message 3 of 5
tim
Contributor

Hi David

As Wobi said ambient occlusion will help you achieve this effect. Ambient occlusion (ao) is basically a shader which applies shadow to an object according to its proximity to another objects - your described nooks and crannies are in close proximity to other objects and therefore will be more shaded.

I just did the quick test which you can see below - the material for the teapot on the right has a Mental Ray Ambient/Reflective Occlusion map as a mask on a Blend material. You can achieve the dust effect by reducing the samples in the ao map.

Hope this helps!!

Message 4 of 5
kerger.marc

I am also looking for a simple way to apply dirt in cracks and corners. I always loved the dirty reyes plugin. But they stopped to update it to newer max versions. Isnt there any other plugin or script that does this for 2024? Seems like nobody makes a similar product anymore.

Message 5 of 5
wernienst
in reply to: kerger.marc

With Arnold renderer, you could use the Curvature shader (category Utility). Put it into the Mix channel of an appropriate material/map.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report