Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Detaching polygon object?

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
9070 Views, 2 Replies

Detaching polygon object?

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I'm rather new to modeling and Maya in general, I'm using Maya 2014 and following along with some tutorials I've found. 

Below is a cylinder that I'm working with, what I'd like to do is detach the bottom half of this cylinder, so that I only have an arch basically.

The tutorial that I'm following along with uses a NURBS object for this cylinder, however, I'd like to do this with a polygon cylinder.  How can I detach what I have selected below with a polygon - much like what you would do by detaching isoparms in NURBS? End result would be cutting this cylinder into two.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

cylinder polygon.jpg

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

You can select the faces (half of the cylinder), [Mesh] -> [Extract]. You will be left with two separate, independent objects.
Or Select one edge loop (where You want to cut) and go to [Edit Mesh]->[Detach Components]. You will be left with one object containing two meshes.
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Thank you! I actually found that selecting the faces and just hitting the delete key worked for me for what I was needing to do, however, I did get the extract method to work with faces.  Detaching Compenents with Edge seemed to give me a bit of trouble though. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report