Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default Units?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
seachordjr
9104 Views, 8 Replies

Default Units?

Tired of Maya loading with its working units set to cm, go to myDocuments\maya\2012-x64\prefs and open the userPrefs.mel file with wordpad, go down to the line (-sv "workingUnitLinearDefault" "cm") and change the "cm" to the unit you want, meter, foot, etc...

Save and open Maya, now your units are defaulted to the units you set.
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Avotas
in reply to: seachordjr

Yes, you can also find that in the Preferences -> Settings -> General Application Preferences. However I also caution against changing that value, it has been known to cause issues in the past.

-Avotas
Message 3 of 9
seachordjr
in reply to: Avotas

It is not permanent though, at least not on my machine. If I change it to feet and restart Maya it would go back to cm.
Message 4 of 9
Avotas
in reply to: Avotas

Huh. Odd. It's permanent on mine. Are you shutting down Maya cleanly? I only known settings not to stick when Maya crashes.
Message 5 of 9
seachordjr

Yea, it is strange, all the other settings I change are saved but the units will not change. Now if I change the units and save a file it will be recorded in the file so the next time I open my scene it will remember the units but if I hit new scene it would always go back to cm and since I work in feet I get screwed up if I forget to change it at the beginning of a project. Now I don't have to worry about it.
Message 6 of 9
Avotas

Wow your right! I just tried it. Mine behaves the exact same way. (Maya 2012 x 64 APSP1) Huh, I wounder if Autodesk changed that, if it's a bug, or if I just never noticed before.

+2 forum points for a cool find! 10 more points and you will have a dozen!

Avotas
Message 7 of 9
tdanijel87

Maya 2018, and now 2019 still have this same issue. I did it on my 2018, but now just matching all my prefs to 2019 and this is still an issue, but they probably have reason to keep it forced to cm.

Also, many of my prefs didn't automatically merge onto 2019 so I am doing it manually now.

Thanks for the refresher on this.

Message 8 of 9

8 years later.. they still didn't fix it.

Message 9 of 9

This post is still useful nearly 10 years later. Thank you

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report