Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curved Wall with a slight grade - Elliptical

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
1091 Views, 4 Replies

Curved Wall with a slight grade - Elliptical

Wrote this is CAD forum - but it probably belongs here. 

I'm tryin to create an an elliptical wall. 

6" Thick

It needs to go from 48" at one end and lower to 36" as it sweeps around the ellipse. 

(It's only an arc of the ellipse and not completely closed).

Help! 

-M

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jonathan.matthews
in reply to: Anonymous

Thank you for choosing Autodesk Frontline Technical Support.  I would be happy to assist you.  In order to assist you I will need a little bit more information.  

Please see below:

1. What is the exact version of 3ds Max you are using?

2. Can you send me a picture or sketch of what you are trying to accomplish with this wall to make sure I have a clear understanding?

Here are a few links for you to review that may help you as well:

PathDeform Modifier (World Space)

http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/16/ENU/3ds-Max-Help/files/GUID-47EA2253-C097-434A-82AD-B13E2DE10C6C....

Deformations

http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/16/ENU/3ds-Max-Help/files/GUID-6B91026F-C250-43D0-AB42-5CDEBFF04371....

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: jonathan.matthews

Take a wall, 4' high at one end and 3' high at the other. 

wrap it around the arc of an ellipse. 

That's what I want to build in 3dsmax

See the attached. 

Message 4 of 5
Steve_Curley

1) Create an Ellipse, move it to the Origin.
2) Modify the Length/Width appropriately then convert it to an Editable Spline.
3) Create a Rectangle, move it to the Origin.
4) Modify the Length/Width such that in one direction it extends beyond the bounds of the Ellipse, in the other direction crosses the Ellipse at the points where the wall will start and end.
5) Select the Ellipse and Attach the Rectangle to it.
6) Use Cross Insert to create 2 new Vertices at the 2 points where the 2 shapes cross.
7) Select the sub-spline which was the Rectangle and delete it.
😎 Select the 2 small segments of the Ellipse, between the 2 new Vertices, and delete them.
9) Select one of the 2 end vertices and click Make First. I would use the one on the Right (positive X) as it makes life a little easier.
10) With the Ellipse still selected, open the MaxScript Listener and copy/paste the following to the Pink section of the Listener.
getSegLengths $ 1
This will return a long list of numbers in the White section of the Listener - the one you will need is the very last number which is the length of the spline and therefore the length of the wall.
11) Create a Box, Height 48", Length 6", Width the value you obtained from the MaxScript. Increase the Width Segments significantly - the more you have the smoother the curve (at the cost of increasing the Poly Count).
12) Hierarchy Panel > Affect Pivot Only. Click Align on the main Toolbar and select the Box. unCheck Z and Y at the top of the dialog, select Pivot Point on the Left, Minimum on the Right, uncheck all the boxes in the Orientation and Scale sections. Click OK, de-select Affect Pivot Only.
13) Apply an FFD 2*2*2 Modifier to the Box. Expand the Modifier and select Control Points. Select the 2 Control Points on the top of the box at the opposite end to where the Pivot Point is. Move them down to 36".
14) Using 3D Snaps to Vertex, position the Box so its Pivot is in the same location as the First Vertex of the Ellipse.
15) Apply a Path Deform Modifier to the Box, click Pick Path and select the Ellipse. You may need to change the Deform Axis and you may also need to Rotate the result slightly so the end of the box is aligned with the end of the Ellipse. Path Deforms are a bit odd like that...
You can then Convert the Wall to Editable Poly and remove the Ellipse if you wish.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 5 of 5
jonathan.matthews

Thank you Steve for the posting.  Michael please let us know how the links and Steve's step by step process work out for you.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report