Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating model from reference image

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
jpb14
1193 Views, 2 Replies

Creating model from reference image

Hi to all,

I'm very new to Maya and as such a basically have no skills on it. I would like to know if it is possible to create a 3d model from a reference image. The image has front, side, rear and top views.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Fiackm
in reply to: jpb14

Yes I am struggling with this as well in my course..tips and videos would be greatly apprecaited

Message 3 of 3
ShamanicHarmonics
in reply to: jpb14

I am totally new to Maya too, just started using it, but this was one of the first things I had to learn.

Basically you have your 4 viewports, mine has Perspective, top, side, and front defaulted. hover your cursor over the top view and click space bar to select the view- each view port has it's own menu options separate from the main menus - click the camera icon all the way to the far left side in the viewport menus. Then go to View > Image Plane > Import Image and that should allow importing of JPEGS. (not sure on other formats, I couldn't load a PNG file, but I'm super newbie too). Import your top view (oh I think you may first need to create a project, and put your images in the sourceimages folder for this project (not sure if this is required or not...) Do the same for the other viewports, but once you import the image, DO NOT move around in space at all or you can change the scale. Just click spacebar to view other view ports, hover cursor over next view (side/front), space bar, repeat above steps.

You can also move the reference images "back in space" so when you create geometry your geometry is in front of the reference image so you can see it. Also working in wireframe view helps a lot - Press 4 on keyboard to go into wireframe.

Shamanic Harmonics
Psychedelic Art & Jewelry Laboratory
www.ShamanicHarmonics.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report