Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create squares to make modeling easier?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
268 Views, 5 Replies

Create squares to make modeling easier?

Hey guys,

I have got a problem by modeling a roof. The first picture attached shows it right at the moment.
I want to keep the star one can see in the center of the picture but the edges look at bit problematic because it consist of 3 former independant cubes. The edges are shown in the second picture.
My question is if it is possible to make the star consist of suaqres to model it a bit easier.

I use maya 2012 education.

Best regards,

Brother Tuck
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Hwagner
in reply to: Anonymous

please post image to get a response.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

I was sure that i posted the pictures, too. Well here they come!

Message 4 of 6
Avotas

Yes, you are going to have serious problems with that geometry. What you have done is taken three cubes, elongated them, then bent them into horseshoe shapes. This is an acceptable processes. The mistake is made when you intersected them together to form a star shape. The star is made up of intersecting faces, some of them are partly passing through others, at all different elevations because the shape is domed. It's going to cause rendering problems when Maya (or any software really) because the software doesn't understand what it needs to drawn on top. It also makes editing the shape a fairly complex process.

Going over what needs to be done is too complex for the forums, so check out http://www.digitaltutors.com/ for some excellent modeling videos

-Avotas
Message 5 of 6
tkaap2

You may benefit from this python plugin I wrote that creates clean quad-faced star shapes. It's able to create the shape you're trying to achieve, then you can extend the mesh to create the rest of your model.

http://finishtheshot.com/2012/03/python-plugin-star-shape-node/

It's almost like I wrote it exactly for what you're asking for. Hopefully it helps.

-T
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Thanks a lot. 🙂
I'm going to work with your plugin and try those videos, too. But I just arrived home from holidays today, so I had no chance to work with them, already. 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report