Softimage Forum (Read Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Softimage Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Softimage topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coming from Maya to SI.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
466 Views, 4 Replies

Coming from Maya to SI.

Hey folks,

kinda new to the forums. Not new to 3d. But I am making a switch from Maya to SoftImage for a potential job offer and am in the process of climbing the learning curve to become fluent in SI as I am in Maya.

I have many questions because my workflow, of course, is now instead of me knowing instantly.. I am fumbling around with the tools to do certain things I need to do.

My first question I hope you guys can help me with is in Maya there is a tool called "Insert Edge Loop Tool"

Say you have a cube and you want to put a edge loop on the sides to make the edges sharp when smoothed.

What is the equal tool in SoftImage? SI it seems has a lot of power behind it, but things are hidden behind check boxes and other things that I just am not familiar with, but once I find it. I remember it for life. I am using tutorials and things but still have yet to come across any that show me a functionality as equal to this.

Thank you for your time. And thanks ahead of time as well for there will be more questions I am certain.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Which version are you using? The 2012 SAP (subscription) version, as well as the new 2013 version have the nifty Model/Modify/Poly. Mesh/"Add Smooth Edge Loop Tool". You can right-click to turn off "Preserve Mesh Curvature" for a more straightforward slice. Otherwise, you can select an edge, select Model/Modify/Poly. Mesh/"Split Edges (with split control)" and it will be split perpendicular, if you select "Parallel Edge Loop". Adjust the Ratio Edge for the position of the loop.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Hi, I have 2012. Not the SAP version I don't think. 2013 version is on it's way though.

Thanks for the info. Will check into that.

Another question. How do you simply delete a vertex/point off a edge without deleting all the geometry around it?
Message 4 of 5
A.Baroody

To add to that, you can also insert an edge loop, and cut edges with hot keys very fast without using a menu.
Message 5 of 5
Grahame_Fuller

Another question. How do you simply delete a vertex/point off a edge without deleting all the geometry around it?

On the Model > Modify > Poly. Mesh menu, there are commands for deleting, collapsing, and dissolving components. It sounds like you probably want dissolve, but if not one of the other two should do the trick.

More info: http://download.autodesk.com/global/docs/softimage2013/en_us/userguide/index.html?url=files/polys_Re...

Grahame Fuller
Learning Content Developer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report