Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combine NURBS objects?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
neoxcorex
12013 Views, 3 Replies

Combine NURBS objects?

How can I combine nurbs objects together. 
I've tried using the Attach Surfaces Options, but this causes distortion between two nurbs objects.
For example, If i have two spheres overlapping one another, how could I combine as one object.

I'm pretty sure I was able to combine two nurbs objects together using the Combine option under Mesh (Polygons).

Any help would be appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anifex09
in reply to: neoxcorex

I think the tool you are looking for is boolean - select your two NURB surfaces - goto Edit NURBS - Booleans - Union Tool

Message 3 of 4
neoxcorex
in reply to: Anifex09

I'm trying to make multiple nurbs objects live so I can use the Quad Draw tool on them.
I guess my real questions is, is it possible to make multiple nurbs objects live at one time?

Message 4 of 4
halfstone
in reply to: neoxcorex

Only one NURBS object can be made live at any one time.  If you just want to set them up for Quad Draw, I'd suggest converting them to Polygons, combining them into one mesh and (if they line up OK) merging the verts.  I don't think you need to do that last step for Quad Draw. 

When converting the NURBS to polygons, use the following options: 

Type: Quads

Tessellation method: General

U Type: Per Span # of isoparams

Number U: 1

V Type: Per span # of isoparams

Number V: 1

Turn "Chord Height" and "Chord Height Ratio" both off.  

This will give you polygon objects with a 1:1 ratio of NURBS spans to polygon edges.  If you want a denser, or smoother polygon, adust the "Number U" and "Number V".  

For attaching NURBS surfaces to each other, there are some rules which, if you don't follow them, you'll get some pretty interesting, but useless, distortions.   I made a video explaining NURBS parameterization and attaching a while ago - I just uploaded it to YouTube, here

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report