Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap poly and Weld does not work?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
2668 Views, 2 Replies

Cap poly and Weld does not work?

Hello

I'm trying to model glasses. I have completed the frame and the handle. They are different parts of the 3D object.
http://i56.tinypic.com/x4n9rn.png

Now I would like to connect them together. I tried to choose some vertixes and use cap poly tool to cap them. But it doesn't work:
http://i51.tinypic.com/2sako09.png

Then I tried to move those vertixes close to each other and use the weld tool but it doesn't work either.

I have had many problems connecting different objects together with cap poly and weld vertixes tools in the past and now I would like to know is this a bug or what I'm doing wrong?
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
hathMirx
in reply to: Anonymous

Cap and Weld(not really ... Bridge) work just not how you might think they should.

Delete the end "cap" on the ear-piece tube (I know, it's not technically a tube it's solid alloy ..). Then in the same manner, after applying epoly to the lens frame and entering into face sub selection, delete the closest four quads; you leave another void in the frame oval structure like the one you just created at the end of the ear-piece.

Next, sub-select border (kidney-shaped icon under "Selection" of Editable Poly, after you've added this modifier to the stack of that piece. Making sure you've attached all the glass pieces so they're one entity and are able to see only one object in the scene explorer other than your head, Ctrl+ select both an ear-piece and a frame-hole.

Now, choose Bridge Settings (right beside the "Bridge" button) from "Edit Borders" in EPoly modifier, choose the settings you want to define the detail of the "weld"(sp). And the previously separate entities should now be entirely connected.

You could also NOT use Bridge and use Weld instead. But you've got to get rid of those caps either way.
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi

Yes, bridge was the actual tool I was looking for but cap poly tool confused me 😛 Thanks for help 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report