Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bridge Tool Twisting - Normals?? [ Video ]

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
aaron.vienneau
4701 Views, 3 Replies

Bridge Tool Twisting - Normals?? [ Video ]

Hey guys,

I made a very short video of what I'm doing. Basically, I want to make a cylinder with a hole through the middle.

When I:

1) Select each side of the cylinder
2) Inset
3) Delete
4) Select each edge rings
5) Bridge

I get a twisted inside of my cylinder. If I bridge 1 by 1, it works fine. . . I looked up online and they said something about "flipping" and "normals" and all that jazz. I have no idea.

I've made a little video for you of what I'm doing, so you can see the end result. How do I fix this?

Video: http://screencast.com/t/lDGB78lwfqP

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Interesting question - probably not come up before because using Borders is easier than selecting Edge Loops - and it works as expected. If you select the Edge Loops then remove 1 "pair" of edges (from the selection) it will work (though you then have to Bridge that segment separately). It would also be easier to use a Tube primitive in the first place, so I have to assume you're doing it the hard way for a reason 😉

Why it is doing that I have no idea, does the same in 2013 and 2014, so it's not a "new" issue with 2014. Help > Report a problem to log it as a bug.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 4

What would have worked is if you didn't delete the large polys in the centre of each side of your cylinder. If you recapped those large polys on each side (for the sake of the exercise, because now that they are gone, Steve's advice about the borders is quicker now), then selected those large polys on each side (at the same time), then clicked bridge, it will bridge the polys and all of those edges will be bridged automatically, with the centre large polys deleted leaving a hole. You selected the large polys before and clicked delete. Next time select the large polys on both sides and click bridge, it'll save the step of needing to select the edge borders and clicking bridge.

3ds Max 2014, Windows 8 pro 64bit.
NVidia GeForce GTX670
i7 3770K 3.5Ghz , 16Gb CORSAIR Vengeance RAM, other stuff...
Message 4 of 4

If you want to bridge two closed borders don't select them beforehands, click the bridge button and choose two reference edges. Video: http://www.screencast.com/t/WO5DYqMLXn6X

Another option is clicking the Options button next to the Bridge button and changing Twist spinner values.

But as already mentioned, bridging the polygons would be preferable here. There are similar advanced options available, too.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report