Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boolean problem when subtracting

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
ingbertwolter
2357 Views, 8 Replies

Boolean problem when subtracting

When I import a cube from another 3d-application (3DCrafter) and try to subtract a cube generated in 3dsMax I get an incorrect subtraction.  Only the front and back are cut out and I can see into a hollow box. Doing the same with both cubes generated in 3dsMax a correct subtraction (tunnel) is generated. What am I doing wrong?

Images: Test_1: Imported Cube with 2nd cube generated in 3dsMax

Test_2: Result after Boolean subtraction

Test_4: First cube (large) and 2nd cube (small) generated in 3dsMax: Correct result

Remark: I am new to 3dsMax, so excuse my question and ignorance...Smiley Sad

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Imported box is inside out. Try this as a test:-
Create the big box (in Max), convert to Editable Poly. Select all of its Polygons and Flip them. Create the longer one and do the boolean - same results as in your image.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 9

I tried it and it worked as you described. But flipping the polygons in my imported cube didn’t make a difference, it’s still not a tunnel. I guess the exporting from 3DCrafter or the importing into 3dsMax screws someting up. I tried an export and import in another format and this time the Boolean was o.k. But unfortumately I lost the materials and the textures exporting in that different format.
Message 4 of 9

Different file formats have different capabilities. FBX should retain simple materials, many others don't.
Right-click the imported object > Object Properties > Backface Cull (turn it on). Should be obvious if the polys are inside out. If they are, flip them. Do the boolean, if you don't get the tunnel select the 2 Borders (the edges around the 2 holes) and Bridge them.

A bit of a cheat, but...
Export twice, once in a format which works with the boolean, the other in a format which keeps the material. Do the boolean on the one and copy the material from the other. That one can be deleted once the material is copied.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 5 of 9

After several tries, I decided to do all the Booleans in 3DCrafter (which I used so far to do the modelling). There it works without problems. I found out, that exporting the models in .wrl-Format and importing into 3ds Max gives me both worlds, the geometry after Boolean and the original textures. That way, I can use the superior features of 3ds Max like baking and ambient occlusion.

Thanks again for all your feedback and support!

Ingbert
Message 6 of 9

Glad you found a usable workaround 🙂

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 7 of 9
PROH
in reply to: ingbertwolter

Hi ingbertwolter

Just a little sidenote to clear things up. In order to have the Boolean subtraction making a "tunnel", the mesh needs to be a welded watertight mesh. Some file formats breaks the geometry into seperate elements, so that the object no longer is a welded watertight mesh.

In such cases you need to weld all vertices in your object before using the Boolean tools, in order to get the expected result.

Hope it helps 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Message 8 of 9
ingbertwolter
in reply to: PROH

Thanks,

I tried it. Before, I ran the STL-Test and it reported errors. After welding it did not. But, sorry to say, it didn’t make difference for the Boolean.

Ingbert
Message 9 of 9
PROH
in reply to: ingbertwolter

Strange... But then again, Boolean operations I Max always has been quite bad.

Glad you found a workaround 🙂
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report