Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to cover large areas with grass and vegetation?

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
jttraverse
2414 Views, 1 Reply

Best way to cover large areas with grass and vegetation?

I have a scene showing a wide plain heading towards low mountains. The perspective is such that the mountains appear to be about 1/2 a mile away, across a basic southwest desert plain covered by dry-looking yellow grass, sagebrush, some cactus, etc.

My problem is how best to cover the plain with grass so that it's covered well enough to look realistic. Paint Effects works beautifully, and eventually I'll place clumps and varieties throughout, but covering such a large area by painting short grass all over is time consuming. All I've seen by searching online suggests using Paint Effects to paint in grass, which works, but it's extremely time consuming. If the only way is to spray a little bit then convert it to polygons, watch the coverage drop due to the polygon count, then repeat the process...something tells me this can't be the most efficient way.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to more quickly cover a large area with decent looking grass. I suspect a nice combination of the right surface texture underneath Paint Effects might do the trick, but I'm hoping there's a perfect method of doing it that I'm just not aware of yet.
Thanks,
JTT
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
n8skow
in reply to: jttraverse

There's a lengthy discussion on this over at CGTalk...
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=87&t=804892

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report