Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bend Deformer with plenty of divisions does not bend nor do the end-caps...

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Gilbycg
4036 Views, 7 Replies

Bend Deformer with plenty of divisions does not bend nor do the end-caps...

Having restored ALL defaults in Maya, and after selecting the "bend1" node and entering a value of 1 for the curvature, the cylinder does not take on an "odd shape". The end caps DO NOT even bend, even PRIOR to increasing subdivisions.

In step 3 of "Introducing AUTODESK Maya 2014" OFFICIAL PRESS

I beleive there is a subtle step missing in the instructions?

Please note: I have recently downloaded the TRIAL version for the Mac. I have purchased 8 books (in the passed ten days) -third party as well as two "Official" Sybex releases. I AM (repeat: I AM) going to purchase Maya 2014 or 2015, depending on what occurs first, my 30 day trial expires or 2015 is released.

I am using this 30 day trial to build confidence in MAYA prior to purchasing your product, as the price is not to be taken lightly.

I would appreciate some help. I have full confidence in your product, as I do in this Forum. I have read ALL preliminary instuctions concerning proper forum usage. I have searched for related "bend" articles, and still find nothing that purtains to the cylinder not taking on the ODD SHAPE. I am certain my "PROBLEM" can be solved by a CLICK OF A BUTTON, or entering of a particular PARAMETER.

This is my first, and hardly my last, article. 

"KUDOS", in advance.

Eagerly Awaiting, 

CG

Autodidact
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anifex09
in reply to: Gilbycg

I am not sure what you are doing wrong. You just select the shape you wish to bend - Create Deformers Pulldown - Select Nonlinear + Bend Options - In the option window go to Edit Reset Settings - click Create - rotate the bend deformer to your desired angle - In the Channel Box under Inputs select the bend - change the curvature value and it will bend the object....... I guess make sure the Envelope value is 1 - the Low Bound is set to -1 and the High Bound is set to 1 (these numbers allow you to effect the lower and upper part of the bend, you can also over drive them to create a roll effect) Have FUN.....
Message 3 of 8
Gilbycg
in reply to: Anifex09

You seem to be getting me closer to positive results. The instructions never stated whether to rotate, scale, or move the 'bend' deformer. However, when I rotate in the X or Z axis, the entire BEND (VERTICAL LINE) rotates in the respective direction, leaving the cylinder unmoved. And, when I rotate the Y axis, (THE AXIS OF THE CYLINDER) I can see that the bend operation ever-so-slightly -and I mean "vaguely perceptibly"- wiggling and ATTEMPTING to bend the cylinder, but it never bends. And the North and South poles of the cylinder wiggle in a circular motion -something like our planets' precession period. I have entered all the proper parameters: Curve = 1, Hi = 1, low = -1 and ENV = 1. Height subdivision = 12. Very odd, I understand the concept of the bend-feature from previous 3D applications notably REALSOFT 3D. It seems very straight forward. I'm troubleshooting every angle I can imagine. I'll check the manual for more bending, and perhaps I can find where I am certainly making a slight mistake. This is fun. Frustrating, but fun. 🙂 Any further suggestions in the meantime?
Autodidact
Message 4 of 8
Gilbycg

I have atttched the steps I have taken. I hope this helps.

BEND ISSUE.jpg

Autodidact
Message 5 of 8
_sebastian_f

have you ever tryied setting a higher curvature in the bend deformer? since 2014 this value is in degrees so with a value of 1 i´m not wondering thats it´s just a very slight effect!
Message 6 of 8
Anifex09

When using a deformer try hitting the (t) key, this will give you interactive handles in the viewport to make adjustments.. The hotkey (t) works with all kinds of tools in Maya (fields, camera, lights, and so on) I am glad you got it to work.
Message 7 of 8
muzipcan

:)))))))))

try the curvature 180 :)))

Message 8 of 8
muzipcan

And you can fix curvature settings in channel box - inputs- bend....

just play with value...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report