Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any plans to fix bridge tool?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
JabbaTheNut
1580 Views, 9 Replies

Any plans to fix bridge tool?

It seems the bridge tool does not merge edges as one would expect it to. I realize that the workaround is to follow the bridge operation with a merging of the edges on either side of the bridge. However, this seems kind of silly for an application of Maya's stature. Shouldn't such a common operation be done correctly?

I understand that this issue has been known for a long time, and yet nothing has been done to fix it. Why? Are there any plans to fix this tool? If so, when?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: JabbaTheNut

Haven't seen this issue in 2012. Just used bridge tool yesterday without problem.
Message 3 of 10
hoganburrows

it not broken, you just need to combine the two meshes first
Message 4 of 10
JabbaTheNut

I have attached two images of a simple example of the problem.

1. Edges to Bridge - I created a simple 3x3x3 cube and deleted 1 face in the center. The intention is to bridge two opposing edges to fill the hole. I realize that Mesh >> Fill Hole will achieve this very easily. However, I wanted to show a simple example.

2. Bridged Edges - I selected two opposing edges and then selected EditMesh >> Bridge. Once bridged I selected smooth preview (3 on the keyboard).

Notice how the side edges of the bridge are not merged. Interestingly, the vertices at each of the 4 corners are merged (i.e. merged vertices around the face with two unmerged side edges). If I merge the side edges after the bridge, then everything smooths fine.

It seems silly that the extra step of merging the side edges is needed to complete the bridge.

This has been a persistent issue for me in both Maya 2011 and Maya 2012. I have been operating from default installations of each. As well, I have noticed posts in other forums regarding this issue.

Please note that if I did step 1 above with EditMesh >> Append Polygon Tool, then all edges and vertices would be merged appropriately.

If it can be done with Append Polygon Tool, then why can it not be done with Bridge Tool?

Message 5 of 10
halfstone

I don't think this is an error, I think it is by design. The "fill hole" tool is designed to do what you want - connect four edges and merge everything. So is the "append polygon" tool. I think the "bridge" tool is designed to give you the option to leave the sides unmerged if you want.

You are seeing this as a problem because you are trying to bridge across a single face.

Consider a 4 x 4 cube instead of the 3 x 3 you used. (see attachment) If I delete four faces in the inside instead of one, the bridge tool gives me the option of leaving two diamond-shape holes along the sides, with unmerged vertices. Neither the "fill hole" nor the "append polygon" tools will allow this.

In your case, if you don't want the option, use a different tool.

Message 6 of 10
JabbaTheNut

You make a fair point. I guess I expected the behavior of bridge to be similar to other programs like 3ds Max where single face bridging merges adjacent edges. Going forward, I will use the Append Polygon tool or Fill Hole for single face bridging.

I'm curious...
In your example of a 4x4 cube, how would you bridge multiple faces where all respective edges were merged (i.e., no open diamonds)? I can do this in 3ds Max. I do not know how in Maya.
Message 7 of 10
halfstone

I don't know of a way of doing it with one step. You either have to append or fill hole, then split - or bridge and merge. It's easy enough to map the "merge" tool to a hotkey so there's really no slowdown. If you're doing a whole bunch of objects one after another, you might want to combine the operations into a cut-and-paste Mel script.

It would be a good option for them to put a "Merge All Adjacent Edges" option in the bridge tool. I can see value in both ways of doing things. At least the way it is now you have the option - if it merged by default you'd have no way of undoing it.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

No, this is a bug. It never existed in Maya before 2012 and no modeling app does, nor would ever include a bridge tool which would create duplicate edges like that. The workaround is you have to manually merge the edges after using the bridge tool.

One can only hope this gets resolved for 2013.
Message 9 of 10
enyoneugenius

If anyone is still interested, I found this little thread on one forum, where it offers short script for bridge tool that merges all the edges nicely. Just added to your tab and live happy 🙂 

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106926

onionhead_o created [Maya]Proper Bridge Tool on 10-15-2012 06:57 PM

polyBridgeEdge -ch 1 -divisions 0 -twist 0 -taper 1 -curveType 0 -smoothingAngle 30;
polySelectConstraint -pp 1;
polySewEdge -ch 1 -t 0 -tx 1 -ws 1 ;
delete -ch;
select -clear;

Message 10 of 10

thanks for the script but just to let you know: since maya 2014 the bridge tool works this way without scripting.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report