Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adjusting loft width in specific places

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
dalags177
891 Views, 2 Replies

Adjusting loft width in specific places

Hi all

I'm making a short oval race track. I'm lofting along an oval shaped path and can get the track width consistant all the way round - but my issue is that I want the bends to have more width than the straights.

Can't work out how to do this - i've seen examples of lofts having more than 1 shape along them (tubes turning into cubes at certain points etc), but I just lofted my path to a line as the track only needs to be a flat 2 dimensional surface

The scale deformations allows for some change of width, but doesn't seem to have much accuracy.

Attached is a quick diagram showing what I mean. The black line is the path, grey area is the loft produced, blue area is an example of how I want the track area to be

I'm using 3dsmax v5

Thanks for reading, any help would be appreciated as I've been stuck on this for ages.

Mark

loftproblem.jpg

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
PROH
in reply to: dalags177

Hi. You need to use at least 2 shapes to do what you want. One for the straight narrow sections, and one for the wider curved sections. To enable the use of more than one shape, you need to build your loft-object from your path. Meaning: select the spline that is your path, make it a loft-object, and build it up by selecting the different shapes that are used along the path.

Hope it helps
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Message 3 of 3
dalags177
in reply to: PROH

thank you so much, works brilliantly now. really appreciate it

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report