Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding Isoparms and Quad Draw Black background Glitch (Maya 2014)

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
jBlake435
824 Views, 3 Replies

Adding Isoparms and Quad Draw Black background Glitch (Maya 2014)

--IMAGES BELOW--

Please i'm in desperate need of help. I'm fairly new to Maya so i'm sorry if my wording isn't 100% accurate. I will insert pictures of the problems im having so it may be easier to understand. Ok so i keep having this problem where if i was to drag an isoparm from another one along an object a red ring would apear showing where that isoparm will be placed, But this is where the problem begins. The background goes completely black and i can only see the red outline of the isoparm and not the object it self! I will show you a photo of an isoparm being dragged off another exsisting line with out the black background occuring (a screen save from a digital tutors video) and i will then show you what my screen looks like with the black screen glitch. Both photos include the same object/shape. Ok so thats my first problem and now onto the second.

When i go and make a surface of an object 'Live' by clicking that magnet box that all works fine. But then when i go to select Quad Draw and make the four dots to form a square on the surface thats when the problem occurs. When i go to hover over the 'quad'/square i've just created on the surface it glows green (which is normal) but the background again goes completely black.. Then when i go to lock in the quad to the surface it would go red... ALSO the dots don't even appear on the surface! They just float behind it in dead space. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE reply. If you are unsure about anything reply back with what you are confused about. Also if you would like to message me on twitter its @Eurohhh (you could tell me you just replied etc) So again please reply! The black background just keeps occuring and i can't even see the object i'm working on. Thanks again. 🙂

Isoparm selection with out black background glitch - http://imgur.com/chVwDyV    (copy and past links in new tab!)

Isoparm selection with black background glitch -  http://imgur.com/eX21YwL 

Both have the same object/shape.

Quad Draw Black background glitch (Can't see object) - http://imgur.com/739owo9 

Quad Draw Green Dots floating behind live surface - http://imgur.com/PFK6c9u

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
halfstone
in reply to: jBlake435

This really sounds like a graphics card issue.  What are you using?  What driver?  Is it listed on the "Certified Hardware" list?  

I'd check to see if this is a Viewport 2.0 issue - you can go to your "Renderer" panel menu and switch to one of the lower-res hardware display options and see if that fixes the problem.  You might also go into "Window-> Settings/Preferences->Preferences->Display" and change your rendering engine from OenGL to DirectX 11 (or the other way around) to see if this is related to some display incompatibility.  

For the quad-draw, it looks like you're using this tool on a model with the Smooth Mesh Preview ("3" key) enabled - I don't think this is the cause of your problem, but it's not such a great practice.  As long as you're using the quad-draw tool, you might as well use "Modify->Convert->Smooth Mesh Preview to Polygons" and draw on actual geometry.  It also looks like you're working in Viewport 2.0 with Physical Sun & Sky enabled (I could be way off base with this one - I'm just looking at the blue background and the absence of the ViewCube) Try simplifying everything - use the lower res display and get rid of the Physical Sun & Sky until you really need it. 

If this is a graphics card issue, know that it is often entirely possible to work very efficiently with a non-Certified card; you just may need to find where the incompatibilities lie and work around them.  That's frequently a better option than shelling out $500 - $1500 for a whiz-bang production card. 

Also, just on an unrelated topic, if you want to show what's going on on your screen, you don't need to take a picture of it.  On a PC you can use the "Snipping Tool" (under Windows Accessories) to do a screen grab - a Mac has a similar applet but I don't know exactly what that is without sitting in front of one.  You can also use the "PrntScrn" on your keyboard, which captures your entire screen to the clipboard.  You can then paste this into a photoshop document and crop it - but that's more time consuming. 

Message 3 of 4
Blakej012
in reply to: halfstone

Wow thankyou so much for the reply! Yes thankyou, i completely forgot about the snip tool. Ok and that is a very interesting subject you pointed out to me. It could very well be a graphics card glitch because i actually have this problem that occurs on my laptop as we speak. I'm using my sisters old Gateway laptop which she had been using for around 3 years. The problem thats occuring is this constant clicking noise that seems to be coming out from under neath the laptop. (i can hear the noise as i type this). And another thing is, say if i have selected a cube and make it vertex mode and go to highlight over just the top vertexs the highlight box isn't even visible.. it works fine but i just can't see it.. which makes it very hard to select a certain side of vertexs.. 

Ok and if the clicking noise of my laptop relates to the issues i'm facing in Maya what do i do? Would i have to get a new hard drive or something? 

Again thanks so so much for replying. 

Message 4 of 4
halfstone
in reply to: Blakej012

Running Maya 2015 on a 3+ year-old Gateway computer sounds like you are in for a lot of issues and frustration.  I'm not really a hardware guy, but the clicking sound does sound like your hard drive is failing.  If you're going to swap that out, I'd definitely go with an SSD drive.  

Before you do that, though, you should consider a computer upgrade.  If you are serious about learning Maya, nothing will get in your way more than random malfunctions due to substandard or unproven hardware.  Maya is difficult enough without worrying if your issues are based on some simple user-error or on the hardware.  

Do yourself a favor and get yourself a proven computer.  Autodesk has a list of laptops that have been tested and that work - they're not cheap, but they're well worth the price.  (When Maya first came out, the price tag was in five digits and you needed at least an $8,000 SGI computer to run it - now the software is free for students, and you can get the hardware for between $2K and $3K).  

Here's the list - http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/System-req...

The computers on the list are NOT the only ones that work for Maya, but they are the ones that have been tested.  If you're looking for a less expensive model, I suggest posting on one of the forums here and asking for some input from people who have computers that work OK.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report