Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AEC Extended - Wall Joints

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
719 Views, 5 Replies

AEC Extended - Wall Joints

Hi guys, I have a question regarding AEC Extended - Wall object, I'm not familiar with this primitive so I don't know how to do this basic task: How to do a proper "T" joint wall using the AEC Extended?..It turns out to be so weird (I'm at vertex sub-object level and use the Connect function, because I can't seems to find a way to continue drawing a wall after right-clicking the last point). I'll attach an image so you guys can see what I'm talking about.

Hope someone with more experience in modeling arch design can help me answering the question.
Thanks in advance!

PS: sometimes on the "L" joint it work nicely with the vertex - Connect function, and sometimes not. But with a "T" joint it never work until now I post this question here in this forum.

_Revel

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
CAMedeck
in reply to: Anonymous

Think of it like a spline object. You can't have a true "T" joint, just two segments can be joined and a third butting up against it. So in your example, it would look better if the left and bottom walls were connected at the joint, and the bisecting wall were butting up to the inner angle. It won't be perfect, though.

AEC Walls are not all that great, and if you can, I would suggest extruding splines to make those walls. Although, you won't be able to add doors and windows in the same way. Alternatively, after creating the AEC walls, add an Edit Poly (or Mesh) to clean up the corner.

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
Tim_Wilbers

If you are going to use AEC Walls for the objects, create them in a different order.
In the image:
1. Create the Green walls
2. Create the Yellow walls
Finally, select one and use the Attach function in the Modify panel if desired.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Hi Chris, thanks for the answer. Yeah I'm not familiar on modeling a architectural stuff and recently I just got a project in modeling those. At least now I know I'm not doing something wrong.

One more question if you don't mind;
If you stack an Edit Poly modifier on top of the stack will it make the AEC Wall to be the standard object like what I get from box modeling?...At first I model the stuff with box modeling method, but after I watch some tutorials online I'm interested in the way of AEC Wall handle door and window by automatically making hole for those stuff and also the multi sub-object material for later texturing process. So if I add an Edit Poly modifier, is there any work around to gain that function/ feature back (by stacking another modifier maybe)?

@Tim_Wilbers
Hi Tim, saw you post just after I submit mine. Yea I see your image totally looks much better with the corner. Actually that was an extreme way of showing the problem, my actual wall doesn't shape that extreme corner. But thanks I see the point now~

_Revel
Message 5 of 6
CAMedeck

Once you add an Edit modifier to the wall, it loses the interactive functions. So that would be one of the last things you'd want to do. And Tim's suggestion is a better way to handle it. :)

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Thanks you guys! yes I already try doing that but I'm afraid it makes my Max (note I'm not using Max Design version) crashed 2 times, so I guess its not a better way to use AEC Wall in Max, so I'm better off using normal box modeling even though I don't have the AEC Wall feature of automatically add door and window's hole.

Anyway, you guys are great helps with those tips, if not I probably still wandering around the internet looking a way to do the correct T joints..lol
Thanks~!

_Revel

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report