Announcements
IMPORTANT. Forum to be archived in several phases. You can no longer submit new questions - but can only answer existing threads until Oct 17th 2016. Please read this message for details
Mechanical Desktop (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7
michaelbrainard
274 Views, 6 Replies

UCS STUCK

This is a bit strange...Just noticed it today.

If I try to execute the distance command and select two points ( one being much higher in the Z axis as defined by existing geometry ) the two points I select are both on the xy plane, or so the result tells me because the Z value is coming back at 0.0000000.

If I try to draw a line anywhere other than the current xy plane, ( point to point on existing geometry ) when I am complete everything I have drawn ( even multiple line segments ) are flat on the current xy plane.

If I try to move a solid object ( base model or Desktop model ) using a "point to point" method, the part will move on the xy plane but will not move in the Z axis. ( ortho is OFF )

I can move Desktop models using assembly constraints successfully.

I can reposition the UCS in the Z axis and draw in the xy plane as it is defined but I still can't pick points in the Z axis anywhere else.

Not sure what happened or what I have done to FUBAR this. This happens in new and existing files.

Any clues? If I need to better explain my dilemma please let me know.
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

FYI.......

Mechanical Desktop 2004 DX
SP1
Network license
Product realease version 8.0.0
Message 3 of 7

more explanation:

back to moving solid objects point to point....for instance, if I have a component 200" in the z axis below the xy plane, if I try to move that part and select any point on that objext, the acual base point chosen is 200" up in the z axis.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: michaelbrainard

try going into ampowersnap and unchecking Ignore Z coordinate or simply turn AMPSNAPZO off -- Kent Keller Autodesk Discussion Forum Facilitator "michaelbrainard" wrote in message news:17763759.1099931612858.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > This is a bit strange...Just noticed it today. > > If I try to execute the distance command and select two points ( one being much higher in the Z axis as defined by existing geometry ) the two points I select are both on the xy plane, or so the result tells me because the Z value is coming back at 0.0000000. > > If I try to draw a line anywhere other than the current xy plane, ( point to point on existing geometry ) when I am complete everything I have drawn ( even multiple line segments ) are flat on the current xy plane. > > If I try to move a solid object ( base model or Desktop model ) using a "point to point" method, the part will move on the xy plane but will not move in the Z axis. ( ortho is OFF ) > > I can move Desktop models using assembly constraints successfully. > > I can reposition the UCS in the Z axis and draw in the xy plane as it is defined but I still can't pick points in the Z axis anywhere else. > > Not sure what happened or what I have done to FUBAR this. This happens in new and existing files. > > Any clues? If I need to better explain my dilemma please let me know.
Message 5 of 7

Very good..thanks...that took care of it.

Not sure what I did to turn that on. I have never used the command. ( ampowersnap )... now I know.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

I see Kent solved your original problem. I'm curious why your not running with the current service pack installed? -- Mike Dickason Developer Manufacturing Solutions Division Autodesk, Inc.
Message 7 of 7
3dr

A lot of these type settings are turned on and off inside of other operations. Sometimes when an operation is halted or ended early these settings do not get turned back on or off. I find this happens every now and then with "FILEDIA" and "CMDDIA".

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums