Announcements
IMPORTANT. Forum to be archived in several phases. You can no longer submit new questions - but can only answer existing threads until Oct 17th 2016. Please read this message for details
Mechanical Desktop (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repost of Strange Layer Names - Original post 11-9-01

5 REPLIES 5
Message 5 of 6
cadsysmgr
144 Views, 5 Replies

Repost of Strange Layer Names - Original post 11-9-01

I have a file that was generated in MDT back in 1995.

This file has been updated into MDT5. I know it was Migrated through MDT4 prior to Migration into MDT 5.

Strange things have happened in the file. Some of but not all of the dimensions have " jumped " away from the part in Layout 1.

These Dimensions have been placed on a NEW Layer the software apparently created, as a matter of fact the software appears to have created several NEW Layers.

These Layers begin with ADD_ , ADP_ and ADV_ . Any idea what has happened to this file during Migration ?

Tim Miley mileyt@holophane.com
5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: cadsysmgr

Tim

Those almost sound like the layers that used to get created in the earlier releases.
You were around back then weren't you, when it would make a new layer for every
drawing view? I thought they started with AD?_

I probably still have a bunch of them around at work that have those layers in them.
I was never able to get them purged except with SuperPurge, and I didn't trust
myself with that

Can you post the file? I remember having a few drawings where the dimensions went
off in space but I don't remember if there was a fix or not. Have you tried
measuring the distance they are off, and going to model mode and moving the model
that much?

--
Kent Keller
http://kwikmcad.topcities.com/

"cadsysmgr" wrote in message
news:f099394.-1@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> I have a file that was generated in MDT back in 1995.
> This file has been updated into MDT5. I know it was Migrated through MDT4 prior to
Migration into MDT 5.
>
> Strange things have happened in the file. Some of but not all of the dimensions
have " jumped " away from the part in Layout 1.
>
> These Dimensions have been placed on a NEW Layer the software apparently created,
as a matter of fact the software appears to have created several NEW Layers.
>
> These Layers begin with ADD_ , ADP_ and ADV_ . Any idea what has happened to this
file during Migration ?
>
> Tim Miley mileyt@holophane.com
>
>
Message 2 of 6
cadsysmgr

Yeh Kent, I have been around since then.

Like the show in Chicago where the very first stage of what we now call MDT was announced. Designer along with the separate installation of AutoSurf etc.

Heck I go back to the first AME and before. God i hate dating myself like that.

Will get the file from my office PC drive. Am on vacation. Yeh sure I am.

Tim
Message 3 of 6
cadsysmgr

I have the file and will post it in the Customer files area in a few minutes. Topic will be KENT - GA872.dwg

The file I found is not the original but one that has had layers purged. Only has the ADD_ layer still in place. Thought I kept the original but no dice. This file is maybe one step from the original.

The part is so simple I remodeled it. I was just hoping to get some answer with this simple file prior to finding a really complicated casting part that got chewed up like this is found.

Was hoping for a qick, well almost quick fix.

Tim
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Tim

As I remembered, simply by changing the view to a scale of 1, and using the dist
command from the node of the dim to the place it should attach to. Then using that
value to move the part in Model mode it all comes back together. I have reposted
the file.

I am almost positive those AD layers are from its Designer days. I think it stood
for Autodesk Designer or??

and if you do a amdebugpartver on the file it shows it was originally made with
release 1.16

Ohhhhh I just realized the file I posted back I did in MDT6. Opps.

--
Kent Keller
http://kwikmcad.topcities.com/

"cadsysmgr" wrote in message
news:f099394.2@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> I have the file and will post it in the Customer files area in a few minutes.
Topic will be KENT - GA872.dwg
> The file I found is not the original but one that has had layers purged. Only has
the ADD_ layer still in place. Thought I kept the original but no dice. This file is
maybe one step from the original.
>
> The part is so simple I remodeled it. I was just hoping to get some answer with
this simple file prior to finding a really complicated casting part that got chewed
up like this is found.
>
> Was hoping for a qick, well almost quick fix.
>
> Tim
>
>
Message 5 of 6
cadsysmgr

I knew it was an old file, but didn't know it was that old.

Oh well. Glad I had remodeled it for the Engineer.

Just hope we don't hit to many of these in more difficult parts.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report