Announcements
IMPORTANT. Forum to be archived in several phases. You can no longer submit new questions - but can only answer existing threads until Oct 17th 2016. Please read this message for details
Mechanical Desktop (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Mechanical & Mechanical Desk top

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
johnq
1808 Views, 3 Replies

AutoCAD Mechanical & Mechanical Desk top

Hi all

I as an AutoCAD Electrical user, about 95% and an AutoCAD about 5%.   For Autocad I use the Autocad built into Electrical. 

Privately I use Autocad Mechanical 2009.

I have followed the concerns re Inventor and Mechanical Desk Top.

Now my question:   Is AC Mechanical a different product to MDT?

I have been trained in Inventor but not highly skilled.

Cheers  johnq

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
RogerMollon
in reply to: johnq

johnq,

Yes Mechanical Desktop (MDT) and AutoCAD Mechanical (ACM) are very different products.

MDT was an earlier generation 3D parametric, feature based modeling product (based on AutoCAD) that has been replaced by Inventor; all support for MDT 2009 (the last release) ended when Inventor 2013 began shipping.  ACM is a mechanical design optimized version of AutoCAD that's an ongoing, main stream product.

I know that the differences can be confusing, but if you understand the difference between ACM and Inventor, basically the same is true between ACM and MDT.

I hope this helps.

Roger Mollon
Forge - Strategic Tech Consultant - Novi
Autodesk, Inc. - Retired
Message 3 of 4
johnq
in reply to: RogerMollon

Thankyou Rodger

Your explanation is quite clear and I understand.

I can now see the forum re the MDT and Inventor concerns from a different point of view.

I have been in a position where management do not wish to listen CAD and a company gets to a position that some of the respondants have got them selves.

Thanks again

john Q

Message 4 of 4
tmccar
in reply to: johnq

"...I have been in a position where management do not wish to listen CAD and a company gets to a position that some of the respondants have got them selves...."

??

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report