Announcements
IMPORTANT. Forum to be archived in several phases. You can no longer submit new questions - but can only answer existing threads until Oct 17th 2016. Please read this message for details
Mechanical Desktop (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

20 years of creating dwg files

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
mach9design
5231 Views, 18 Replies

20 years of creating dwg files

I have been using 2D CAD since 1992 & Mechanical Desktop for 10 years, that’s 20 years of *.dwg files. We still open and edit some of the old drawing files to create new tools & fixtures. We have Inventor 5 series but choose not to use it as it is not an efficient way of working.

Many of our customers, mostly in the Nuclear industry use AutoCAD 2D or LT. Approximately 20% use Inventor or another modelling package, usually we find ways of converting the files, but generally end up with surfaces using *.iges or basic parts with no parametric history using *.step.

My dilemma is if I upgrade my software I feel that I will be using my old software 90% of the time.

What do I do: Upgrade to Inventor Suite – or stay a dinosaur working efficiently with one system.

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
psm
Contributor
in reply to: mach9design

Are you using MDT2009 -64 bit? The performance is unlimited and would be fast even the year of 2020 in my opinion. We are exporting all our drawing to .dwg from MDT and this is our final archive. We are then adding the partlist in 2d cad.

When we arguing about non connected drawings I ask: what time is it to open this plant with 50 000 parts in 2d mode. It take 5 sec in autocad.

Message 3 of 19
mach9design

We have two seats of MDT6 AutoCAD 2002 32bit running in Windows XP – I have used Inventor 5 and tried Inventor 2010 on a 30 day trial: It’s very pretty to use “A bit like a crayoning package” OK it has its advantage with rendering and creating photo-like images, but I want engineering drawings.

A typical day in our office: I will be modelling a 3D press tool and 4 or 5 project engineers may request drawing modifications to files maybe 1, 2 or even 18 years old, I can quickly open any of them, modify & save them within MDT6 without changing the format. I have tried using Inventor to do this with success, but it is inefficient and creates spurious junk in the file. If I open the file back in AutoCAD I can purge the junk but a message says it has been created with incompatible software. I then have to open the file through Drawing Gateway (I could go on).

I know in the future I am forced to upgrade to Inventor, but it will create more problems than solve them.

Message 4 of 19
gezard

May I suggest that we all start a pettition to return MDT back.

No more improvements or messing about. Just leave it the way it is

but offer support and conversion to other  formats.

Gezard

Message 5 of 19
mach9design

I agree whole heartedly. I know quite a few engineers who have been using MDT for a number of years, they all agree that it is the best versatile CAD package that allows the freedom to use the environment any way you like.

Inventor has some good features e.g. filleting in MDT you are stuck with what you have picked, but in Inventor you can add or remove them without deleting and having to re-pick.

I would love to see MDT brought back with some of these features added. “For the proper engineers”

Message 6 of 19
psm
Contributor

I don´t understand those who working in 3d in autocad. Ok MDT is not the sexiest but compare to using autocad......

Maybe we can hope that autocad include the same functions as in MDT some time in the future.

Fore me local parts and drawing in the same file is the main reason to stay in MDT, one file one machine + that it is .dwg

Message 7 of 19
gezard

I was refering to MDT 2009. I have used Acad from Versin 9 and MDT from the

beginning. The first 2 -3 versions were buggy - but now all my

mechanical drawing are MDT. Inventor may be a fine gadget for the

yong kids to play - but I am 66 and dont have the time.

Message 8 of 19
Jamie-Lyn
in reply to: gezard

Gawd, I thought I was the only one who felt that way about MDT. I used it to design plastic injection molds for years and love it. Though that work is all but gone, i still like to build "stuff". I've recently come into possesion of MDT 2006 and I feel almost like I'm back using MDT 3.0 (which was "da bomb"). Get's right on with the job, don't it? The install I have doesn't have help files so I'm having trouble with the cui files but i'll get it. Ever tried linking it to Excel? WOW, what a hot-rod. Does pretty good surfaces too if i may say so.

Jamie-Lyn

Message 9 of 19
Barry1Lau
in reply to: Jamie-Lyn

I lost most of 16 years of work, nearly 10K models when I foolishly asked our IT dept about an anti-virus upgrade.  That's when they discovered that I had a stand alone license for my seat of AutoCAD/MDT.  I design machines and stamping dies.  I was still using MDT 2009 and MDT 2008 (my laptop wouldn't run MDT 2009 due to a graphics card issue) with a CAM software and had no intention of using Inventor.  Who needs 2 files for each part (model and print)?  Plus I couldn't get anyone to confirm that an ipw file would convert to a 2d dwg file accurately for the CAM software.  Also I had banished the vaunted screen hogging RIBBON to MSHell where it belongs and was able to use tool bars and buttons.  I had tried Inventor a few times and decided that I didn't need or have time to learn a 6th new CAD system.  Why couldn't Autodesk have made Inventor look and act like MDT so the change would be seamless?  Most people who use MDT could give a rip how the kernel works.  We have a job to get done.  Then the desktop hard drive puked.  No worries since all of the models were saved on a server.  IT says we can't have any rogues around with a stand alone license, so they sent the new box (which is a screamer workstation, thank you) and set me up with a fabulous network license for Inventor 2013.  MDT 2009 is immediately dead and cannot be installed in conjunction with 2013 (no more than 4 versions back allowed).  MDT files cannot be migrated to Inventor without a functioning MDT program.  MDT 2008 cannot open MDT 2009 files ( I had made the mistake of migrating all of my models to 2009 format the year before) so I cannot migrate to Inventor 2008 using the laptop.  Now I have to learn Inventor.  I got dispensation from the IT kings to install Inventor 2012 and a temporary (3 months) license extention to install MDT 2009.  Now the race is on, learn an alien CAD program and migrate all of these drawings in 3 months while trying to keep up with my regular duties which normally take up 45 hours a week.  I learned enough about Inventor to start the migration in a couple of months then found out that while the geometry of the model translates okay, the dimensions for the sketches and extrusions are some garbled mess instead of a simple dimension value.  AutoCAD (2d) or Mechanical can open an MDT part file and allow viewing and printing but you cannot measure anything using distance unless the layout is exploded.  An assembly file is even less accessable since exploding doesn't help and the model page shows any sections and acts like a one piece dumb solid.  Enough ranting, I've got to get back to work recreating all these models as needed and hope that the toolmakers don't have a question about a dimesnion on an old die.

Message 10 of 19
mach9design

Sorry Barry1Lau I did not get back earlier. Priorities you see.

I am having the same problems, but still continuing with MDT6 in AutoCAD 2002 now 12 years old. The drawings I am turning out are as good if not better than the majority done with later applications. They have better rendered images for a sales pitch, which is important, but I can create some pretty decent images and presentations using MDT & Office 2003. I have been creating *.dwg files since February 1993 How can I edit them in Inventor.

I wish we could do something, but Autodesk need move forward and some of us will be left behind. I will have to make a decision in the next few years, but then I may choose Solid Works or Catia as they have kept the same format.

Best regards Mach9Design

Message 11 of 19
Jamielyn

Greetings,

After reading these posts I feel the need to chime in again (the above post is mine, i forgot i had registered). I've used MDT since 3.0/ r14 to design plastic injection molds. I always found it to be more than adequate to the task and some molds can get a bit tricky. Everything from simple open and shut to unscrewing tools, MDT performed flawlessly and I got the job done in a (mostly) timely fashion. I have since retired due to China's voracious appetite and the fact I'm a woman, quite the oddity in my field. However, I was proficient at it and it paid well. Most importantly I loved it.

I have used Inventor and I agree with the gentleman above that referred to it as "a toy". I've also become somewhat proficient with SolidWorks and though it might slightly edge MDT out in the surfaces department it is quite cumbersome with assemblies and getting things on paper. I have a drawing template set up that I open with that has all my layers and dimstyles and what-not in it and I can be laying ink down in short order. All parts of the assmbly are in the same drawing organized by the catalog feature and browser. Don't forget linking to Excel, what power! And who needs a calculator when you can run most equations on the command line. Pipe taper? Atan (3/8) /12 works for me. I could go on, ad infinitum, but you already know.

I draw now as a hobby, sometimes designing mock parts so I can build tooling to produce it using MDT 2006, Though my sanity might be in question, my abilities are not. I have 2 Calcomp 3024 Designmate pen plotters that function well and MDT still drives them. I'll attach a .dwg of a mold I designed some years back and redrew from memory. The significant thing about this file is i did it in about 25 hours, downloading all the standard mold components (in 2D) from the DME website, all of which I externalized for future use.

My point being, there isn't an application on the market that can make that claim, at least as far as I know. So, if there's any petition going around, show me where to sign.

Thanks for listening to my rant,

Jamie

AMD 9370 Vishera 4.4 ghz 8 core CPU

16 gb Ram

1/2 tb Crucial SSD

1 tb WD HD

ASUS R9 280 video 3 gb

ASUS PB278Q monitor

Windows 7 Ultimate

(2) Calcomp 3024 designmate plotters

Message 12 of 19
mach9design

Well it’s been 5 years since I posted this statement, I have subscribed to Autodesk Design Suite for the past 4 years which includes Inventor Professional 2017 & AutoCAD 2017 (2 Seats). I have been pushing to use the new software, but we now have 25 years of *.dwgs & 15 years of MDT6 models.

When new jobs come in we use Inventor, but the majority of our work has not changed for 30 years.

E.g. A fabrication is made up from many components, these components require press tools, fixtures, laser-cut gauges for inspection.

A full set of drawings for this contract could take 3 to 4 months to create in Inventor, but with the old software you can (save as) a full set of drawings, modify them and get them on the shop floor within 2 weeks.

Its 5 years on and we still have the same problem, but worse because Windows XP is dying……

Best regards The Dinosaur.

Message 13 of 19
Barry1Lau

Finally getting used to Inventor after 3 years.  Still seems slower and less stable than MDT 2008.  MDT would ocassionally stall on a couple ofreally complex models using 3 GB RAM.  Inventor 2012 & 2014 has frozen up requiring a reboot many times or recently uncermemoniously crashed on a plate with 100 holes using 13 GB RAM.  Not having the model and layout drawing in the same file is still inconvenient.

Still lamenting all those drawing files stuck in MDT format.

Message 14 of 19
Jamielyn
in reply to: Barry1Lau

Hi Barry,
Nice to finally hear from someone who misses the old workhorse, it was something wasn’t it? I designed plastic injection molds for 20 years, using MDT for 10 of those and always found it to be up to the task. As you might imagine we worked with a lot of models made up of surfaces which always presents some difficulties but MDT always saved the day. I would always create a parametric model from the customers data and just start building from there. Everything in the same file and when I used standard components I would export them (via the catalog feature) for later use. Then it was just a matter of assembling everything, to make sure it all fit properly and start dropping views onto sheets, plot them and you were done. All in the same file! I have no idea why Autodesk didn’t keep that philosophy and improve on it. I’m now retired but I still enjoy modeling in my spare time. I now use SolidWorks (hobby only) and though it does have some nice features it’s still cumbersome and if you’re not familiar with the project it would take quite some time to figure out what’s going on. Whereas with MDT, when you opened the file you’d see it all assembled and have immediate familiarity. Alas, I wasn’t consulted on that decision . I still putter around with my MDT 2006 but I’m looking for a copy of MDT 2009, which was the last release and it still drives my CalComp pen plotter. I’m now trying to learn Autodesk Alias which is quite the undertaking.
It’s nice to know others also lament the passing of MDT,
Jamie
Message 15 of 19
Jamielyn

Hello and thanks for posting,
It also confounds me that Autodesk would deviate from something that worked so well but they did. Personally, I’d have stuck with MDT if it wasn’t necessitated by companies that I dealt with. My MDT 2006 still runs very well on Windows 7 Ultimate x64 which by the way is the best OS I’ve ever used. And if I was compelled to change, I certainly wouldn’t have chosen Inventor. SolidWorks would have been a much better choice in my opinion. At least it offers capabilities in exchange for the simplicity of MDT.
Just an old retired mold designer,
Jamie

http://jamielynrogers.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=/
Message 16 of 19
Jamielyn

Hello and thanks for posting,
It also confounds me that Autodesk would deviate from something that worked so well but they did. Personally, I’d have stuck with MDT if it wasn’t necessitated by companies that I dealt with. My MDT 2006 still runs very well on Windows 7 Ultimate x64 which by the way is the best OS I’ve ever used. And if I was compelled to change, I certainly wouldn’t have chosen Inventor. SolidWorks would have been a much better choice in my opinion. At least it offers capabilities in exchange for the simplicity of MDT.
Just an old retired mold designer,
Jamie

http://jamielynrogers.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=/
Message 17 of 19
kkriskovich
in reply to: Jamielyn

Seeing as they haven't locked this thread yet, if any of you are still monitoring these posts, do you have any suggestions for making a double-ended female spline coupling in AMD6? I want to use Shaft Generator but it only lets me spline a single end. I just now picked up this program from the shelf and am trying to make it work, but I'm beginning to lose faith in it and am seriously considering getting my boss to provide a modern version.

Message 18 of 19
Jamielyn
in reply to: kkriskovich

Personally, I’ve never used shaft generator so I’d just extrude/cut the shape into the coupling.
Jamie
Message 19 of 19
kkriskovich
in reply to: Jamielyn

Thanks, I was finally able to get some form of extrusion to work.

Once I figured it out, shaft generator worked well, I found an option that was only allowing two of the splines to be generated rather than the full set, and I simply had to start with a large enough cylinder to allow for two such spline cutouts on either end.

The only issue now is the codes are so outdated I don't know if I should use my designs for machining couplings in order to mate with modern hydraulic pumps.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report