Community
Maya LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trouble applying color

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
400 Views, 4 Replies

trouble applying color

I'm have a problem I can't seem to figure out. I've exported a character from Daz 3D into Maya. I played around with the export and import settings a lot, until I got my character to come over amost perfectly. However, on a few of the meshes, the colors have not come over and I can't figure out how to set the color. I do have the UV maps and they have the right detail, but are either a flat white or grey. From what I've seen, I'd expect to be able to choose a file to add the color, but my color option is always greyed out. Am I going about this wrong? Or do I need to do something else to add color.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
paulkind
in reply to: Anonymous

Color is only applicable IF you dont have a texture applied.  See that little block arrow to the right of your color input?  Click that and you will see you have a texture applied.  Also if you notice in the shader preview there is a map applied (or it would be all solid grey).  That is what is causing your problem.  If you want to set the color to that object you could simply add a new phong shader (or delete the texture).  Maybe when trasferring it, the object got confused as to which texture to apply to what.

Check out the attached image for further clarification.

Areas of Expertise - MayaLT : Mudbox : 3DS Max : Inventor : Game Dev
Follow me on Twitter : @paulkind3d

Please remember to give kudos freely and mark acceptable answers as solved!

PLEASE do not send me private messages unless asked to do so. If you have a question, start a thread, and ask me on the public forums where answering your question may help others.

Did you know there was a YouTube learning channel for Autodesk Games? New videos are posted regularly with all sorts of content relative to Stingray, Maya/MayaLT, 3DS Max, and other game related tools. Get your game on @ https://www.youtube.com/user/autodeskgameshowtos
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: paulkind

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. One of the things I've been trying to sort out in learning Maya is all the various levels of textures, shaders, etc and how they interrelate. That's really helpful.
Message 4 of 5
paulkind

Yea shaders are a a bit confusing sometimes.  Many programs only have one "shader" (usually a phong shader) so there is less to think about.  With MayaLT/Maya you have many other options.  DX11, Phong, ShaderFX, etc.  Luckilly they mostly follow the same general workflow excepting Shader FX which is an animal of an entirely different color because it allows you to basically design shaders to your needs (pretty cool really).  In the beginning with mayaLT/ Maya id say you may want to just stick with the phong shader till you understand how it all works.  DX11 is great too if you are looking for a realtime shader but still id start with phong.

Paul

Areas of Expertise - MayaLT : Mudbox : 3DS Max : Inventor : Game Dev
Follow me on Twitter : @paulkind3d

Please remember to give kudos freely and mark acceptable answers as solved!

PLEASE do not send me private messages unless asked to do so. If you have a question, start a thread, and ask me on the public forums where answering your question may help others.

Did you know there was a YouTube learning channel for Autodesk Games? New videos are posted regularly with all sorts of content relative to Stingray, Maya/MayaLT, 3DS Max, and other game related tools. Get your game on @ https://www.youtube.com/user/autodeskgameshowtos
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

Hi GadgetGirl,

could you please let me know what export settings you used in DAZ and the import settings you used in Maya LT?

Thanks!

Tags (3)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report