Community
Maya LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Output Geometry nurbs or polygon for game objects and cahrecters?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
sunseeker1988
2038 Views, 6 Replies

Output Geometry nurbs or polygon for game objects and cahrecters?

Hi, I came across a setting in maya lt that says output geometry type. It has NURBS selected as the output geometry. Should I have that set to polygons for makinmg my main charecter and other in game objects?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

?

Message 3 of 7

Game engines can't handle NURBS. You can use NURBS, Curves, Deformation and whatever tool/feature to create your models but in the end it will have to be converted to a Polygon object before export.

https://www.artstation.com/thomaspasieka
Message 4 of 7
paulkind
in reply to: ThomasPasieka

As stated by Thomas, you will need to convert your nurbs (or curves or any other type of non-poliginal geometry) to poliginal geometry.  To do this use the convert menu.

In your case...

Modify Menu > Convert (all the way at the bottom) > Nurbs to Polygons

Hope that helps.

Cheers 😃

Paul

Areas of Expertise - MayaLT : Mudbox : 3DS Max : Inventor : Game Dev
Follow me on Twitter : @paulkind3d

Please remember to give kudos freely and mark acceptable answers as solved!

PLEASE do not send me private messages unless asked to do so. If you have a question, start a thread, and ask me on the public forums where answering your question may help others.

Did you know there was a YouTube learning channel for Autodesk Games? New videos are posted regularly with all sorts of content relative to Stingray, Maya/MayaLT, 3DS Max, and other game related tools. Get your game on @ https://www.youtube.com/user/autodeskgameshowtos
Message 5 of 7
paulkind
in reply to: sunseeker1988

Wait a sec, I just re-read your post again and have a question for you...  where are you finding this?  If you are talking about the FBX Export, then what I am guessing you are talking about is the conversion of nurbs.  In that case, it will not matter at all unless you are using nurb surfaces.  If you ARE using nurb surfaces, you will want to convert them as stated in my previous post.

PLEASE do not send me private messages unless asked to do so. If you have a question, start a thread, and ask me on the public forums where answering your question may help others.

Did you know there was a YouTube learning channel for Autodesk Games? New videos are posted regularly with all sorts of content relative to Stingray, Maya/MayaLT, 3DS Max, and other game related tools. Get your game on @ https://www.youtube.com/user/autodeskgameshowtos
Message 6 of 7
sunseeker1988
in reply to: paulkind

Thanks a ton for the info. The reason for my post is I created a model in maya, but going threw the preferences there is an option for output geometry which has to do with extruding the object,beveling ect. I changed the output geometry to polygons thinking it might cause some problems in my game? My model is built using polygons but I guess maya uses output geometry=nurbs for things like bevel or extrude. so Is it fine if I leave it on nurbs for geometry output or should I change it to polygons if I am making game characters and objects. I am exporting my file to mudbox as a fbx file. I loaded my model into Unity game engien and it interacts fine with my controller script.

Message 7 of 7
paulkind
in reply to: sunseeker1988

It seems that this option will change how maya works with lofts and such...

"These settings determine the type of geometry created from modeling actions such as Revolve, Loft, Extrude, Fillet Blend, and so forth. Setting it here affects all applicable modeling actions. Otherwise, select Mixed to use the individual settings of each modeling action." - MayaLT Reference Documentation : http://download.autodesk.com/global/docs/maya2013/en_us/index.html?url=files/Basics_Windows_and_Edit...

From what I gather, this changes the way the geometry is created.  It has nothing to do with exporting to a game engine and I would leave it on nurbs.  Basically when you create a loft (or similar) it will treat it as a nurbs surface (probably better performance, options etc).  You will have to convert before exporting, but still I would leave it this way.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report