Community
Maya LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya LT Shader to Unity3d?

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
7233 Views, 14 Replies

Maya LT Shader to Unity3d?

Hi,

Can Maya LT Shader Automatic Export in Unity3d ?

Thanks in advance.

Dev

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
santd
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Dev,

There are 4 different surface shaders available in Maya LT: ShaderFX, CGFX, Ilr Occ Sampler, and Phong.

Out of these I imagine that only the Phog will be translated correctly in the FBX export\import into Unity. If I am not mistaken most Unity Shaders are written via CG\HLSL. However, it also uses ShaderLab which is similar to the Shaderfx and the Cgfx shaders provided by Maya LT. What you could possibly do for a shaderFX is to export the graph from the ShaderFX window and then translate that to the ShaderLab which Unity uses.

Your best bet for an answer might be posting on a Unity forum to see how you might be able to get the specific shader type into Unity.

Cheers,

David Santos

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous

Hi,

Thank you for your response.Looking forward unity 3d and maya LT bridge.i will my post in unity3d forum.

Dev

Message 4 of 15
MatthewDoyleArt

ShaderFX can export HLSL, GLSL, and CG. Unity shaders support all three of these by embedding them inside of a shader lab shader, but there is no easy copy and paste solution. You have to do a bit of wrangling to make it all play nice at present, which requires a bit of knowledge on writing shaders.

We are however investigating potential ways to bridge ShaderFX with Unity's shader lab system.

Matthew Doyle
Technical Marketing Manager

-----------------------------

Area Blog: Game Dev Blog
Watch me on Youtube: Youtube.com/MatthewDoyleArt
Check out some of my work at: MatthewDoyle.com
Message 5 of 15
bhall27
in reply to: MatthewDoyleArt

Any idea on when this might happen?  I'm not a tech artist but playing with ShaderFX seems easy enough for a simple minded artist to get some great results - would love to see that carry over seamlessly into Unity sooner than later 🙂

Please and thank you!!!

Brian

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous

Matthew,

any update on the ShaderFX / Unity bridge? 

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous

+1

Message 8 of 15
ThomasPasieka

Any updates on this? Would like for a sort of shader conversion to Unity so I don't have to setup the same stuff again in Unity. Would be nice to have especially when using the the "Send To Unity" command.

https://www.artstation.com/thomaspasieka
Message 9 of 15

Unfortunately no updates. I really wish I could give you one, but I don't have one. I also want to make sure you understand that when I said the team was investigating it, that is no guarantee that it will ever be added. The team is hard at work improving Maya LT, and they are listening to all user requests. Be sure to add it and vote for it on the Maya LT Feedback page if you want it. http://mayaltfeedback.autodesk.com/forums/215180-ideas-for-maya-lt-forum

Message 10 of 15
bhall27

Just added feedback to that forum, everyone who's commented on this page should go vote 🙂
Message 11 of 15
ThomasPasieka
in reply to: bhall27

I voted on it. I think AD would be really smart to have a conversion that works in the back. It surely would be another BIG Plus to chose Maya LT over the competition to many. 

https://www.artstation.com/thomaspasieka
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: bhall27

Would be the great if Maya SSS Sheder in-side unity going without Any  compiler issue.

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous

I have a sugestion for a temporary Workaround and i hope someone from Autodesk reads it:

• Add a "Unity Shaders" Button in the Material Shelf
  • let it act as Preset Collection of "Fake" Unity Shaders for ShaderFX
  • "Send to Unity" replaces Maya's ShaderFX Shader with Unitys own coresponding Shader

This way when working with Maya, Artists know what Maps they will need for Unity's Shader and how they will look inside Maya.

Obviosly, this solution is only usefull for working with Unity's Built-In Shaders and not with creating new Shaders from Scratch.

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: santd

there are only 4 types of material available shader fx, sting ray, cgfx and phong how to get other material such as mia material in autodesk maya 2016 lt

Message 15 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: santd

there are only 4 material option in autodesk maya 2016 lt shader fx,stingray,cgfx and phong how can i get other material option such as mia material x and others ???
please reply

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report