Community
Maya LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help a newbie out !

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
JamaicanDev
502 Views, 1 Reply

Help a newbie out !

Ok hi guys! I'm currently a student and I'm running Maya LT on the student liscence. My assignment was to create a simple idle animation for a character. Now I already ripped a Kakashi Anbu model from Naruto Ninja Storm (Please don't kill me Masashi Kishimoto!) and I had a friend do some simple textures. The outcome was a .obj file (which I converted to .fbx) one texture file in .png and a .mtl file to accompany it, I can post screen shots if needed. 

When I import into Maya LT I get a grey, dull Kakashi, could anyone tell me what to do ? Please, I'm new to the Maya generation! 

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Hi!

The quickest and easiest solution would be to assign a new material to your character in LT, then apply your texture maps there. Just right click the model, and choose "Assign New Material". Then, for your first material, I would simply apply a Phong shader. That's a basic face normal based pixel shader. You can try the DirectX shader or ShaderFX when you're a bit more familiar with assigning materials to an object.

Then, select the Phong Shader on the Attribute Editor panel (while the model is selected). Click the Color checkboard swatch to assign a File to the Color property. From there, just load your character's diffuse texture.

That should do it. Oh, and press 6 on the keyboard to ensure you can actually see the texture in the viewport.

Matthew Doyle
Technical Marketing Manager

-----------------------------

Area Blog: Game Dev Blog
Watch me on Youtube: Youtube.com/MatthewDoyleArt
Check out some of my work at: MatthewDoyle.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report