Community
Maya LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphic glitch in viewport Maya 2014 LT when manipulating. (Not in Maya 2014)

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
alaineman
4655 Views, 16 Replies

Graphic glitch in viewport Maya 2014 LT when manipulating. (Not in Maya 2014)

I installed maya 2014 LT (I already had Maya 2014) and whenever I try to manipulate anything except the entire object, a graphic glitch occurs.

It looks to me like the viewport does not refresh. Also when I draw quads, it shows them after I have drawn the entire strip. It only occurs when using the modeling toolkit.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
paulkind
in reply to: alaineman

Can you give me a little bit about your machine?  Video Card most importantly.  Also, have you updated your graphics drivers recently?  Viewport 2.0 is pretty fancy stuff.  You will want to make sure your drivers are up to date and DX 11 compatible.  You can try to chang your viewport mode and see if it fixes it.  My guess is it will.

Areas of Expertise - MayaLT : Mudbox : 3DS Max : Inventor : Game Dev
Follow me on Twitter : @paulkind3d

Please remember to give kudos freely and mark acceptable answers as solved!

PLEASE do not send me private messages unless asked to do so. If you have a question, start a thread, and ask me on the public forums where answering your question may help others.

Did you know there was a YouTube learning channel for Autodesk Games? New videos are posted regularly with all sorts of content relative to Stingray, Maya/MayaLT, 3DS Max, and other game related tools. Get your game on @ https://www.youtube.com/user/autodeskgameshowtos
Message 3 of 17
alaineman
in reply to: paulkind

I just installed LT on my desktop and there are no issues. The videocard driver has also been updated to latest Windows 8.1 version.

I only have problems when running LT on my laptop:

Windows 8.1

I7 4700MQ

8Gb Ram

Geforce GT 740M

How do I change my viewport mode?

Thanks btw for helping!

Message 4 of 17
paulkind

My best guess is your laptop has a video card that either isnt beefy enough or is maybe using intel integrated graphics (ive had mixed results there).  Try changing the viewport settings.  I think if you set hem as follows you should be good.

Go Window > Settings and Preferences > Preferences > Display > under Viewport 2.0 Change Default Viewport to Legacy Default.  You can also try to use Open GL and see if that helps.

If that fixes your issue, my guess is that your laptops video card does not support direct X 11.  All is still ok, you just cant make use of the cool DX 11 shaders... well till you are on your PC at home. 😃

Hope that helps.

PLEASE do not send me private messages unless asked to do so. If you have a question, start a thread, and ask me on the public forums where answering your question may help others.

Did you know there was a YouTube learning channel for Autodesk Games? New videos are posted regularly with all sorts of content relative to Stingray, Maya/MayaLT, 3DS Max, and other game related tools. Get your game on @ https://www.youtube.com/user/autodeskgameshowtos
Message 5 of 17
alaineman

I followed your instructions, however I don't see the option to change it to legacy. Only renderer engine options which were set to OpenGL. I had already tried changing that, but the glitch still exists.

However I noticed something after cheking my pc info. My videocard is not displayed, just the onboard chip. So my best guess is that LT doesn't use my videocard.

Message 6 of 17
paulkind

Yea, the Intel Integrated Graphics may be your problem.  Ive had one PC (desktop) with it and it seemed to do ok with VP2.0, I also have a laptop that has it used, it however cant run VP2.0  None the less, we found the culprit. 

This is the REQ from the Maya LT Requirements Page...

• Windows® 8 or Windows 7 Professional edition, Apple® Mac OS® X 10.7.x, or Mac OS X 10.8.x operating system
  • 64-bit Intel® or AMD® multicore processor
  • Microsoft® DirectX® 11 compatible graphics card
  • 4 GB of RAM (8 GB recommended)
  • 2 GB of free disk space for installation
  • Internet Explorer®, Safari®, or Firefox® web browser
  • Three-button mouse

With all the super slim laptops out there now, Integrated graphics are going to be very common.  It helps with battery life, cooler running, and removes the "need" & additinal cost of a video card... unfortunately however Integrated Graphics do not make for a great 3D workstation 😃  At least not right now anyhow.

Message 7 of 17
alaineman

Though it's very strange since I do have a graphics card: Gefore GT 740M which is directx11 compatible. http://www.geforce.com/hardware/notebook-gpus/geforce-gt-740m.

So I think there must be an issue somewhere of detecting my Graphics card.

Message 8 of 17
alaineman

I have officially located the problem: Maya uses my HD graphics 4600, instead of my GT740M. I have already set the preferred graphics card my pc should use and program-specific as well, but it still uses my onboard...

Message 9 of 17
paulkind

Well, I am not sure how to solve this, but I did a bunch of looking for you and found that this is not an uncommon problem.  In a google search i found several other forum posts where people (gamers mostly) were complaining thier integrated graphics was being used over their video card.  I would try searching on your specific laptop model and seeing if there is a way to set a mode to disable it.  You also may want to check and see that the laptop is plugged in and check your performance settings.  It may be disabling the card to save energy / battery life / hardware life / heat etc. 

Also, do check and make sure the integrated graphics drivers and the video card are up to date.

Message 10 of 17

Hi,

I would suggest two things.

-In the Display preference change the display engine from OpenGL to DX11

If that does not force things to switch then try the following.

-In the Bios force your system to not use the integrated Graphics card.*

*Each manufacture call it something different but don’t choose the hybrid option that toggles back and forth with the integrated card.  Doing this will probably increase the drain on your battery.

-matt

Message 11 of 17

I followed both your advice, but it seems nothing is working. Both my Maya 2014 and Maya 2014 LT use the integrated HD 4600. However I only get this glitch in LT.

I tried to disablehd graphics in device manager, but then maya doesn't detect any graphicscard. I also searched for an option to set GPU in my bios, but it can't be found. Also when I run maya with rightclick + run with NVIDIa, it just runs with the intel graphics card.

My guess is that the problem doesn't lie with the GFX card, since normal maya acts normally...

I don't know what to do anymore.

Message 12 of 17

The possible reason you are not seeing this in Maya, is that Maya LT exclusively uses Viewport 2.0 viewport renderer.  Maya has several renderers and VP2 is not the default.

It would be a valid test for you to launch Maya, change the viewport renderer, restart and observe the results.

I spoke with an engineer regarding this issue and he informed me that Maya(and Maya LT) do not ultimately decide which GPU to use and that this decision is dictated by the driver settings.  “In general it will pick only the active GPU to use, which by default is the non-integrated one.”  Additionally he offered this advice.

“One thing to check is that on a mixed graphics laptop there should be a option for "performance". Instead of allowing the driver to choose they should double check that it  is explicitly set to the nVidia card. There is all kinds of "power saving" options set on a laptop by default that tries to make it drop down to the integrated chip“

You will need to find the setting in your system that forces the decision.  When testing if you find the issue is exclusive to Maya LT.  ie. You can’t reproduce this after switching Maya to VP2.  Can you send me full details make/manufacture of your laptop, and hopefully we would have something in house with which to investigate with.

Cheers

Message 13 of 17

I have tested the viewport 2.0 in Maya and it's exactly as you say. It also produces those glitches.
I will now try to find the appropriate settings!

Thanks A lot!
Message 14 of 17
robinsonwoods

Maya Crashes when manipulating the spot light manipulators with Viewport 2.0 or Legacy High quality viewport is turned on. I am on new computer windows 8.1 (HP AMD A4-5000 APU with Radeon HD 8330 Graphics). I do not have any Intel Integrated Graphics and the AMD Radeon HD 8330 is an integrated DirectX 11.1 graphics card. I am taking the lighting tutorial, so I am not doing anything fantastic but learning the spotlight and barn doors. It continues to crash when I turn the manipulators on the light and change the renderer viewport. Is this issue the same?

Message 15 of 17
paulkind
in reply to: robinsonwoods

I do not believe it is the same issue.  Can you start a new thread?  Ill look into this immediately.

Message 16 of 17
taamarco

theres a glitch in my MAYA 2015, when i grouped the polygons i cant move it. how to fix it? please reply guys. i need it to my project

Message 17 of 17

Hello taamarco,

Can you move the group via the channel box?  What about the virtual sliders?  To access the virtual sliders, select your object, then in the channel box select the channels you want to manipualte (i.e. all three translations), then press "w" to enter the move tool.  Next, use the middle mouse button in the viewport to move your object around.

What kind of video card are you using?

Regards,

Carlos

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report