Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xgen workflow?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
chris_gfz
1302 Views, 3 Replies

Xgen workflow?

Hello, I was excited about the xGen in the extension release and decided to create the hair of my characters with this, now that I'm almost done and after searching for an answer about referencing files with xGen, I've found that xGen doesn't work with referenced files.

Is there any way to bring the xGen descriptions to my character? I've been trying exporting the collections & descriptions and importing them to the referenced files for animation but I always get errors.

I've been searching for a work out to this problem on the xGen documentation, but couldn't find an answer anywhere.

Thanks in advance

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
GordonPinkerton
in reply to: chris_gfz

I'd be interested in learning more about this too. The toolset seems very flexible and capable, but it breaks down when trying to impliment it with normal pipeline practices. It would be really great to get info on the best practices for referencing and caching xgen descriptions.

Message 3 of 4
MisterVal
in reply to: chris_gfz

Hi Chris,

I've been curious about this as well. From my perspective, without referencing support Xgen is basically unusable. I'm wondering how people are integrating it into their workflows. For the time being, I've just gone back to Shave.

Best of luck, and let us know if you figure out anything useful!

Message 4 of 4
hinobayashi
in reply to: MisterVal

In 2015 SP3 referencing characters with XGen hair works fine with me.
That's just characters with hair made with splines though.

Hair which I did with groomable splines works also, but they loose their "styling".

Do I have to style their hair in every scene I use the referenced character or is there a way to keep the styling?

Again, this is just with groomable splines...

Greetings.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report