Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UV mapping...HELP...?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
katie28.99
616 Views, 2 Replies

UV mapping...HELP...?

Hi,

I wonder whether someone could help me or point me in the right direction...before I go diving right into it!

I have just finished modelling an old barn, (which by the way I created using singular pieces of "wood", "roof tiles" etc.. so that I can make them look broken etc..) Now I am at the point of unwrapping my UV's, so that I am able to texture it but before I go diving into it, I want to make sure that I am on the right tracks so that I don't have to go back and redo anything because I haven't taken the time to check whether or not I am doing it right!

Anyway, so I have a lot of pieces at the moment and its going to take me a long time to uv map each individual piece and I was wondering whether I should be combining all my roof tiles together to make the UV process quicker and easier? Or is there another way or making this quicker and easier?

If you need me to send a screenshot to help you understand what I mean, just let me know!

Thanks,

Katie

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
damaggio
in reply to: katie28.99

I posted a reply on your same question on Shading and lighting Katie.

You can also UV map just one roof tile and then transfer the UVs to all other tiles, but still the UVs will be laying on the same spot of your 

texture map unless you move them by hand in a few chunks of UV shells.

There's a feature in the UV texture too that can help you and is called Layout., it will place all tiles without overlapping in the UV texture window, altough you gonna 

loose resolution because like you said there's to many tiles.

You could combine all tiles together and do one UV set of the entire roof and paint one large texture...maybe a UV map based on camera.

Message 3 of 3
katie28.99
in reply to: damaggio

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, it is really helpful!

By the way I have attched my barn here as well so you knoe what I mean but I will take in consideration what you have said!

Thanks again!

Katie 😄

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report