Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2014 - Save, Open, Import, and Export dialogue window missing

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
marco.justo
2158 Views, 7 Replies

Maya 2014 - Save, Open, Import, and Export dialogue window missing

Hi everyone. I'm a newbie to Maya so please bear with me.

I'm experiencing a strange problem as the usual dialogue windows are now missing. And I mean missing as they simply don't show up when I select the option on the File menu. No error messages no nothing. Then when I click on the Maya main window I can't interact with it as if there's a dialogue window open. If the dialogue window is indeed open and obfuscated, I don't know how to bring it to the front. I'm using a single monitor.

Am I missing something?

Cheers.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
n8skow
in reply to: marco.justo

When you first start Maya - are you getting any error messages in the script edtior?

Have you tried removing your preferences files?

Message 3 of 8
marco.justo
in reply to: n8skow

Like I said, no error messages whatsoever either before or after the program becomes unresponsive.
I deleted the preferences files and eventually the maya folder in my documents to no effect. Repaired installation to no effect.
Eventually I uninstalled maya and deleted all remaining files in the App data folder and maya registry entries.
After a new install it started working properly.

This was some weird bug. Basically any dialogue box that involved browsing the file system would make the program unresponsive. I hope it doesn't appear again.
Message 4 of 8
drbrandtjr
in reply to: marco.justo

I'm having what sounds like the same problem.  The problem occures for me when I detach my laptop from my external monitor and bring it home to work. Other apps don't seem to have this problem, so far only Maya.  It seems to not realise that what extra monitor is now missing.

I can solve this for most window, like the Outliner and other editor window by removing prefs/windowPrefs.mel.  BUT, this doesn't work for the "open scene" window (and probably Save, Import, etc.)  I can't find where this information is stored.

Have you found an answer?

Thanks,

David

Message 5 of 8
gowthamraja55
in reply to: drbrandtjr

i had the same issue . . before detaching ur lap form external monitor ,bring all the window to ur lap monitor and then close maya. . . else in windows10 press windowkey+p and select pc screen only.

Message 6 of 8
drbrandtjr
in reply to: gowthamraja55

Hey thanks for responding, Gow.  If I am able to plan ahead, that is what I do, unplug the monitor, BEFORE shutting down Maya. This moves the windows back. But if I get to a remote location, without doing that first (unless I happen to have an extra monitor there of equal or larger resolution) I'm screwed.

I've tried your second suggestion, Windows button + p.  I was hopeful, but it doesn't help.  I don't know if this is a Windows problem or a Maya problem.  I don't seem to have the problem in anyother app.

David

Message 7 of 8
drbrandtjr

I've done some more searching and have found a SOLUTION!

I'm surprised that this has been a problem since 2011, and hasn't been fixed yet. I guess because it has a viable work around?

The answer(s) are in a different forum:

http://mayafeedback.autodesk.com/forums/160518-small-annoying-things-to-fix-in-maya-forum/suggestion...

utwoxxl's solution is what worked for me. alt+spacebar, and then close. Then when I open the window again it is within reach.

Gothica's solution works too!

"Make sure you have the windows focused (by re-opening and not clicking anywhere, if you can't focus the windows. Close it by using Sorb [Stefan] script a few comments below)
Press the following combination in order

Alt+Space
M-key
Any arrow key

It will snap to your mouse while you can drag it around with ease. Just click for release."

--

Message 8 of 8
gowthamraja55

else u can try even this in windows 10. . control panel >display > adjust resolution > multiple display and select "show desktop on only 1".(to view multiple display option press windows+p and select extend display)..this works for me always ... 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report