Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing A|W objects properly???

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
illincrux
162 Views, 3 Replies

Importing A|W objects properly???

I'm trying to import an OBJ with an insane amount of materials yet no matter how I edit the material list file, maya just will NOT assign my textures to the appropriate channels:

What am I doing wrong?

Here's what a majority of them are setup as:

# generic46
newmtl generic46
illum 4
Kd 1.00 1.00 1.00
Ka 0.00 0.00 0.00
Tf 1.00 1.00 1.00
map_Kd generic46.jpg
Ni 1.00

Any help please?
Thanks!

Btw, others have said to reassign the textures manually within maya which is totally out of the question since there is around 4000 (very small)textures total.
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
illincrux
in reply to: illincrux

Well after 3 days of trying everything I could do by hand, I just happened to stumble across this little gem a few minutes ago which has solved my biggest problem with the massive material import...but has also given rise to others which can easily be fixed with a macro script:

http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/

I have yet to study how it fixed it, but it appears my material list file was definitely correct...On the other hand, the original object file will need to be scrutinized and compared with the one that was generated by meshlab...

Perhaps I spoke a little too soon here, but maybe this will help others...

Btw, my tool of choice for automating repetitive tasks is Workspace Macro Pro which is very intuitive and easy to operate for us non/semi-programmers.

http://www.tethyssolutions.com/macro-automation.htm
Message 3 of 4
Zeeshan Anjum

You should try fbx format.
Message 4 of 4
illincrux

Proprietary formats isn't an option for the application I'm exporting from and I personally believe that the FBX format is only serving to complicate the market with a false sense of...

...Collada is a much more acceptable solution to resolving the issue with producing a universal format - I believe. Plus, it's in a widely acceptable human readable language(XML) which makes it very easy to evaluate and edit weather it be by hand or code. Even though you could export your scenes in a human readable FBX format (ascii), it's not very intuitive nor can you use a fully featured editor like XMLSpy to edit it with while also ensuring that it's completely valid with a validator...such as an XML validator.

Aside from that, it appears that if you don't have both your texture vertices (vt) and faces (f) assigned to a material then Maya will not assign the textures themselves to the materials that they are assigned to already within the material list. Which is kind of redundant and totally surprising since the devs. of Maya were the ones to initially come out with the format that is so universally embraced...One would figure they wouldn't make their importer so overly nit-picky?

All is well though thanks to meshlab! =]

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report