Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting to .STL_DCE?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
schenn
2785 Views, 4 Replies

Exporting to .STL_DCE?

Maya 2014
I have a simple polygon. I've moved the origin to the bottom of the polygon. I select the object and export selection -> STL_DCE. I import the STL into any 3d software (including Maya moments after the export). The origin is now some random distance away from the polygon. Nowhere near where it was unfortunatly. 

After finding little to no documentation on STL_DCE or exporting to stl_dce from maya, I got the ObjExporter plugin and export the poly as an OBJ file. I then open that obj file in another 3d software to convert it to STL. The origin has again moved some distance off of the model (not as much as exporting to STL_DCE, but more than 0 and enough to break the functionality of the model)

A few bits of info on the scene setup if it helps.
Working Units: Millimeter
Polygons were created by importing an illustrator 8 file as curves. Planing or lofting the curves into a poly then sizing and cleaning (reduce face count, fix holes, etc)

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
WindXu
in reply to: schenn

Hi schenn:

Could you attach the original Maya scene for me to test? You can also send it to me directly through email wind.xu@autodesk.com

Thanks and best regards!

Wind

Message 3 of 5
WindXu
in reply to: WindXu

Hi schenn:

After testing more, I find this should be the expected behavior.

After exporting and importing by maya's direct connect plugin, any geometry's pivot will move to the origin of the space, no matter where the pivot is before exporting.

Thanks!

Wind

Message 4 of 5
schenn
in reply to: WindXu

Except the import is importing the exported model n units away from its own
origin where n is some large value instead of importing it at 0,0,0 like it
does for stls made in rhino.
Message 5 of 5
_sebastian_f
in reply to: schenn

try modify > freeze transformations befor you export your stl!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report