Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corrupt .mb file

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Agamemnot
6162 Views, 3 Replies

Corrupt .mb file

I had a Maya Binary file that I saved yesterday (Maya 2014 Student Version) and which today will not open. When I try to open it a dialog box opens, says that the file is unreadable, and I get the following message in the script editor panel:

doOpenFile ("D:/MobileDesk/school/Wyatt/Animation/Human Character Project Resources/Female HIK.mb");

// Warning: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2014/scripts/others/pv_performAction.mel line 267: confirmDialog: Object 'MayaWindow' not found. //

commandPort -securityWarning -name commandportDefault;

// AbcImport v1.0 using Alembic 1.1.2 (built Oct 22 2012 17:06:34)

// AbcExport v1.0 using Alembic 1.1.2 (built Oct 22 2012 17:06:34)

// Error: line 1: Cannot find procedure "rebuildShowMenu". // 

Then in the Output Window I get this:

Maya binary file parse error:  : (12) bad root block

I have searched for an autosave file without success.  I have tried importing the corrupted file into a new scene, renaming a copy of it as a Maya ASCII file, and even referencing the unreadable file, but none of these have worked.  Is there any way of salvaging the scene?

Thanks, 

Wyatt

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Agamemnot
in reply to: Agamemnot

It won't open in most text editors, and in Notepad++ it's displayed as a string of "NUL, NUL, NUL" etc.

Message 3 of 4
halfstone

I'm afraid you may be out of luck.  A binary file is compressed, and can only be opened by Maya.  Unless someone has written some kind of script to uncompress the binary file outside of Maya, I know of no way you can open it except in Maya. 

The file structure your scene file lives in is not a regular Maya project structure.  Are you double-clicking the file to try to open it?  This is a real stretch, but it will eliminate variables:

1.  Open Maya, create a new project

2.  In Windows, re-name your mb file so that there are no spaces; copy it into the "Scenes" directory of your new project

3.  In Maya, click on File ->Open, and then click on your scene file. 

I doubt this will work, but at least you'll know it's not something else.

You may want to try opening this file on a different machine, but that's also pretty doubtful.

I realize this advice is too little too late, but most professionals routinely save in ASCII format, which is an uncompressed text format.  If and when this happens, they can often fix errors in a text editor or divide the scene into chunks.  Your options with mb files are pretty limited.

Message 4 of 4
winterfm

There is no way to bring that file back from the dead... it's gone... If it is Corrupted... you are out of luck. something must have happened while saving it. you must have saved over the original. My professor always tells us to create new saves under different names... for example: Example1.mb... Example2.mb... etc.

I am so sorry. I actually had a huge file (it was my Trilogy book I am currently still writing) on Microsoft Word... and on my old laptop... it took forever for it to save. so I pre-maturely ejected my thumbdrive... (not realizing my computer didn't finish saving)... and the next day my document, (which consisted of over 50 pages), would not open and said it was Corrupted. I lost everything... Thankfully I handwrote majority of it. but all the add ins I typed were gone. I had to start at the very beginning. Always save to multiple platforms...under multiple titles.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report