Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't import 3ds files into Maya 2014

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
ayhan35
16643 Views, 13 Replies

Can't import 3ds files into Maya 2014

Hi,

I have a student version of Maya 2014.

I'm trying to import 3DS files but all I see in the outliner is a transform file. 3ds plugin is loaded.

I've a Mac with Mountain Lion on.

I hope somebody has an idea.

Cheers 

Ayhan

Tags (1)
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
damaggio
in reply to: ayhan35

3ds is no longer part of Bonus Tools in 2014 but you can install the mac version or Windows from the Bonus Tools page.

good luck.

Message 3 of 14
ayhan35
in reply to: damaggio

Hi,

I have the 3ds plugin (downloaded from http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/stevenr/bonustools , placed in Bonus Tools plugin folder). Still nothing.

Message 4 of 14
prdip

use obj file for import
Message 5 of 14
jpitts15

Anyone get this to work yet?

Message 6 of 14
ayhan35

I'm not alone:)

Message 7 of 14
jpitts15
in reply to: jpitts15

hello....
Message 8 of 14
mexes1978

in this autodesk blog

http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/stevenr

you get the bonus tools.

and if you read theres a  3dsImport Plugin  there.they drop it because fbx export is good.

Message 9 of 14
Kazuki90

Am I going to have to downgrade to Autodesk Maya 2013? This is so much crap. All we want is to import a .3ds file (without having to export to FBX) and nothing seems to be working so far. No one has any solutions its so frustrating. Im also on a Mac OS and I copied the file into every location of the BonusTools folders and still nothing is working (ofcourse that wouldnt solve it, but I thought I made a mistake in the directory). My suggestion to all people with this problem... Go ahead and downgrade to earlier Maya untill somone has a real fix for this.

Message 10 of 14
matk
in reply to: Kazuki90

do you have a solution in the meantime for your 3DS import problem? i have the same trouble and no solution until now. best regards, mat
Message 11 of 14
damaggio

Use the free FBX converter from Autodesk...I just imported an airplane 3DS...works like a charm.

Message 12 of 14
jpitts15

is there a Mac Version of that?
Message 13 of 14
matk
in reply to: jpitts15

yes, it is a mac.
Message 14 of 14
tom
Contributor

We keep an older version of Maya on one of our workstations to be able to do this since we purchase a lot of TurboSquid models and sometimes they are only available as 3ds models... we don't have a copy of #DS so we can't go the export FBX route...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report