FDO provider for PostGIS

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
1322 Views, 9 Replies

FDO provider for PostGIS

MySQL support is nice, but PostGIS is way more functional. This would
be a good bridge between SDF and Oracle/SQLServer/SDE. A bridge that
many might get half-way across and decide they like the view.

It would be really great if this was also bundled with Map 3D and Civil 3D.

Jason
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
JohnNoZ
in reply to: Anonymous

I agree completely, Jason. PostGIS is one of the most important data sources in the GIS open source community.

Hopefully, if such a FDO provider is not placed inside these products, the open source community will respond with one, themselves.
Message 3 of 10
andreasneumann3662

I agree that Postgis support is much more important than MySQL support. Postgis is a lot more advanced and is supported by almost all open source projects and many commercial offers, such as ESRI ArcGIS 9.3 (upcoming), Safe Software FME, etc. - so please Autodesk - support a Postgis FDO provider!
Message 4 of 10
andreasneumann3662

additionally, as far as I know, the licence allows Autodesk to bundle PostgreSQL/Postgis with Autodesk products and sell support for a postgis based solution
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

aneumann wrote:
> additionally, as far as I know, the licence allows Autodesk to bundle PostgreSQL/Postgis with Autodesk products and sell support for a postgis based solution

Well... sort of. PostGIS itself is GPL (whereas PostgreSQL is BSD
which is much more permissive), so there are some potential issues there
combining open and closed source.

There is an open source PostGIS provider in the works. Anyone with time
to help out with testing (or development) would be appreciated.

http://trac.osgeo.org/fdo/wiki/FdoPostGISNotes

Jason
Message 6 of 10
andreasneumann3662

yes - I know, Postgis is GPL and PostgreSQL is BSD (more liberal) - but if Postgis is kept as a separate product und just interfaced properly and nothing built on top or around postgis it can be commercially supported (not sold as a product of course).

I will try out the FDO Postgis provider later. I am pretty new with Autodesk software and first have to learn other Mapguide stuff before targetting Postgis.
Message 7 of 10
dorra2007

Hello Mateusz

I am using the latest version of the postgis provider with autodesk mapguide studio and I have a problem.
When I create a postgis feature source using a specific database, I can fin the features classes (that represent tables in the postgis database), but when I want to update my database (I added new spatial table to the postgis database), the featureSource is not updated, and I can't create a new layer using the new table (because it's not displayed in the feature class list.) I think that I am missing something.
Can you help me please.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

> I am using the latest version of the postgis provider with autodesk mapguide studio and I have a problem.
> When I create a postgis feature source using a specific database, I can fin the features classes (that represent tables in the postgis database), but when I want to update my database (I added new spatial table to the postgis database), the featureSource is not updated, and I can't create a new layer using the new table (because it's not displayed in the feature class list.) I think that I am missing something.
> Can you help me please.

yes i have this same problem...
Message 9 of 10
dorra2007

some DLLs are missing in the system32 file and FDO file.
Use "Dependency Walker" to find out the missing DLLs, download them and copy them in the appropriate files.
Message 10 of 10
dorra2007

You must first copy the bin files from the postgresql to
the bin folder in autodesk studio.

some DLLs are missing in the system32 folder and FDO folder.
Use "Dependency Walker" to find out the missing DLLs, download them and copy them in the appropriate folders.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report