MotionBuilder Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s MotionBuilder Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular MotionBuilder topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to apply hand mocap to character or bones?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
DariuszSebastianBurdon
715 Views, 2 Replies

how to apply hand mocap to character or bones?

I would like to apply hand mocap file (bvh, c3d or rsd format) to character or just to hand bones.
Hand mocap files contain only information (rotations and hierarchy) on hand bones and not on the rest of skeleton.
How can I do that in MB?
Is it possible to do that to not characterized skeleton?
How to apply it to just hand structure (palm + 5 fingers) ?

I am also having trouble doing that to biped in Character Studio in 3ds max9.

I have attached mocap files in bvh, c3d and rsd format, also fbx with bone structure for hand and 3ds max 9 file with bone structure.

I will be grateful for your help.

6350_gU5h9ekRosgCVCTUiCXP.zip

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Simple: Aim or 3 points constraints and then rotation. Here is file with set up for one finger, it's not finished and wrong hand, but you should get the idea.

A video game hand skeleton I see 🙂

6359_FfeuGrtoaz2Cl150Ez0Y.zip

Message 3 of 3
BengisuOzbay
in reply to: hrydek

Hello,

I am very new to AutoDesk Motionbuilder and I also have some problems with mapping the hand motion capture data to the hand of one of the characters that is already defined and characterizad in Autodesk Motionbuilder. As a character I am using Mia which I have characterized as described in one of the tutorials. Now I am trying to map the marker data of right hand to the Mia character's right hand. I have tried to use aim constraint but since for our data the hand change position it did not work as we want. Therefore I have tried to use position and rotation constraints together and I have tried to use mapping constraint as well. However, every time I tried the character's hand ended up with an unnatural position and I have not been able to move hand appropriately. I have no idea about what I should do to ressolve this problemand I would be glad if anyone can help me with this problem.

I am attaching the .fbx file from one of my mapping trials with mocap data and Mia character. I am also sending two sample mocap data one recorded with markers on the joints and one recorded with markers on the finger segments together with another .fbx file containing charcterized Mia charcter by itself. 

There is no special reason for using character Mia. Only reason behind using a character rather than a skeleton is the assumption that we can analyze a  caharacterized character's hand position using inverse kinematic tools in motioncapture. If there is any better way to simulate hand rather than using a character, any suggestion is very welcomed.

Best regards,

Bengisu Ozbay

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums