Inventor Publisher
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Publisher Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor Publisher topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

copy position and displacement of a component

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
fsanchou
357 Views, 4 Replies

copy position and displacement of a component

Is it possible to copy a position of a component?

For example, I would like to extract the position of a component from another snapshot. For now, I select multiple snapshots and moves the component and then tries to return it to its original place.

Also, when I replace a component with another in Inventor, and I made ​​an update in Publisher, while the movement are lost. Would it be possible to create a function that allows to associate the same displacement to the new component (before deleting the old component)?

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
TimeraAutodesk
in reply to: fsanchou

Is it possible to copy a position of a component? Yes

For example, I would like to extract the position of a component from another snapshot. For now, I select multiple snapshots and moves the component and then tries to return it to its original place.
If you use the "Set Affected Snapshots" function by right clicking on a snapshot to activate. Once you have the snapshots you want activated, any and all edits will automatically update all of the snapshots equally. For example, if you want a component to be moved to the exact same location throughout several snapshots perform the following steps:

1. Highlight snapshots you want the component moved to

2. Right-click on one of the snapshots > Set Affected Snapshots > Selected Snapshots

3. Use the Move command to move the desired component as necessary

4. Activate any other snapshot to deactivate the Set Affected Snapshots mode

5. See that the component was moved identically in all snapshots that were activated!

Also, when I replace a component with another in Inventor, and I made ​​an update in Publisher, while the movement are lost. Would it be possible to create a function that allows to associate the same displacement to the new component (before deleting the old component)? You can get this outcome by Updating a component, but not by replacing it. In the future, if you end up replacing a component with an entirely new one, the best workaround would be to replace the new component to the same file location and file name as the old one and "update" the part from within Publisher. This is the only way to trick the program into thinking that you're simply updating the same data, otherwise the link will be broken and no animations will be retained.

I hope this all helps, let me know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,

Timera Hart

Autodesk

Message 3 of 5
fsanchou
in reply to: TimeraAutodesk

TimeraAutodesk a écrit :

If you use the "Set Affected Snapshots" function by right clicking on a snapshot to activate. Once you have the snapshots you want activated, any and all edits will automatically update all of the snapshots equally. For example, if you want a component to be moved to the exact same location throughout several snapshots perform the following steps:

1. Highlight snapshots you want the component moved to

2. Right-click on one of the snapshots > Set Affected Snapshots > Selected Snapshots

3. Use the Move command to move the desired component as necessary

4. Activate any other snapshot to deactivate the Set Affected Snapshots mode

5. See that the component was moved identically in all snapshots that were activated!

Thank you for your reply but it's the method I use. What I want is to copy the position of a component that I have already moved in the first snapshot.
I wish to do as the "Extract camera" but with one or more components ...

You can get this outcome by Updating a component, but not by replacing it. In the future, if you end up replacing a component with an entirely new one, the best workaround would be to replace the new component to the same file location and file name as the old one and "update" the part from within Publisher. This is the only way to trick the program into thinking that you're simply updating the same data, otherwise the link will be broken and no animations will be retained.

To update a component that's a good idea, thank you. Do you think that in future versions it will be possible that the developement find a solution with different names?

Thanks

Message 4 of 5
TimeraAutodesk

I think it's safe to say that you probably won't see a full "replace" option supported in Publisher in the near future. That would require re-pathing of the assiciated content completely. Typically, full replacements of parts isn't a popular workflow either, and updating existing data is sufficient.

Timera

Message 5 of 5
bowen192

@fsanchou wrote:
Is it possible to copy a position of a component?

I found a quick way of doing this is;

Select the snapshot you want copying

Select the snapshots you want copying to

Select the component you want to copy the position of

Select move and turn the component through 90 degrees and back.

Because rotating an object has a natural 'snap' every 90 degrees, it's easy to do with just a flick of the wrist.  I don't even know I'm doing it now.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report