Inventor Publisher
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Publisher Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor Publisher topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video file size is massive?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
jamie.j1989
1057 Views, 7 Replies

Video file size is massive?

Hello im trying to use publisher to create a presentation for a college project, however when i create a video of my story board the file size is 0.5G for a 50 second video with about 10 snapshots and 11 components for the design? Also when i put this video into a presentation the file size is reduced but the video wont load up when i try and play the presentation on another computer. Other than the obvious of getting a larger memory stick is there anyway to reduce the file size, considering that 2 hour movies are only just over a gig in size there must be?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Jon.Balgley
in reply to: jamie.j1989

Unfortunately, the AVI files generated by Publisher are very large.  We recognize that this is a problem.  Generally speaking, there's nothing that you can do about it in Publisher 2011 or 2012.  

The following tips may help somewhat; each has its own downside too:

* Publish to a smaller size, e.g., 640x480 instead of 1024x768.

* If you're importing from Inventor, use the new (in 2012) "faceting" option in the Insert dialog.  Unfortunately, you must do this when you first import - you can't change it later.  

* Try publishing with a different compression.  In my experience, this has not helped much, but maybe your data will have different results.

Jon Balgley
Message 3 of 8
phil-mcam

I seem to recall a workaround:

Make a powerpoint with a single animation, your giant AVI.

FInd the freeware that converts ppt to mp4.

I've done this for youtube vids that started out as Inventor generated AVI files. The final output is perfect looking and quite slim.

Considering this program is supposed to be (also) for non-technical folks, perhaps this could be addressed so web-manageable sized files can be output from within the program itself, without having to involve freeware and multi-platform solutions?

Message 4 of 8
guyh
in reply to: phil-mcam

Install the xvid or ffshow codecs and use them when producing the AVI.  you can adjust the quality of the video as well with these codec.  You will get far smaller file sizes.

AutoCADM 2011 SP2
Inventor Pro 2011 SP2
Message 5 of 8
TheDocGuy

Having a problem with video output not completly rendered even though the status shown as 100% complete. WMV file seems to finish at around the 7 minute mark. So I'm missing about another minute of my storyboard. Have checked snapshot timings & all looks fine. Have tried a few times (at 45min each time) but still the same. Anyone had this problem?

Message 6 of 8
TheDocGuy

So it looks like 400MB is the maximum. Is there a limit to the video size that is created?

Message 7 of 8
TheDocGuy

Definately an issue with WMV format. Rendered to mp4 and it is ok + dramatically smaller file size.

Message 8 of 8
TimeraAutodesk
in reply to: TheDocGuy

Hi guys,

We worked hard over the past year to offer MP4 as a publish format to help with video quality and file size for these published videos - It's great hearing you are using and appreciating the new format offering!

If you absolutely have to have an AVI or WMV, another solid workaround to retain quality and reduce some size is to publish to Flash first, and then use a free video converter to convert to your desired format (like Freemake Video Converter).

Happy Publishing!

Timera

Autodesk

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report