Inventor Publisher
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Publisher Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor Publisher topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renaming parts. problem with updating.

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
Timmy_Stalnacke
1005 Views, 18 Replies

Renaming parts. problem with updating.

Our company have changed our part number system (added a dot).
When I update the ipb file some parts lose their position and visibility. 

And also the trail disappears, even that "trail visibility" is ticked. But if I unticked it and ticked it again, the trail is visible again.

This is pretty annoying and I don't want to restart from scratch every time the assembly is being updated.

Best regards

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

the problem seems to be that i cant "Update All Components"

i got a box that says "Some update paths are not valid. Press OK to continue update".
when i press OK, nothing happens.

What doses "some update paths are not valid" means?

i have open up the assembly in Inventor and update and save it, even checked it in vault.

Message 3 of 19
bowen192
in reply to: Timmy_Stalnacke

I've had a similar-ish problem.

I'm not sure this is of any use, but if the component is linked to Vault you can right-click it and chose Recover From Vault.

This has fixed things for me in the past.

Message 4 of 19
Timmy_Stalnacke
in reply to: bowen192

Thanks, but i have already tried that, when try to recover from vault some of the parts loses the placement and visibility state.

If i look the browser i can see that some parts are market with a red cross and some with a pen, and in the end some parts have some kind of star, i guess that the star means its new parts?

but they are no new parts at all. just renamed parts.

Best regards

Message 5 of 19
LeoWan

Hi Timmy,

I guess you also renamed the assembly file ? if so, please try below steps:

1. choose the top assembly file that you want to change in Publisher browser, right click to invoke context menu, choose "Source Files>Replace from local files",  

2. pick up the renamed assemly file

3. do update

Thanks,

Leo

Message 6 of 19
Timmy_Stalnacke
in reply to: LeoWan

Hi!

Thanks for the response.

Yes we also have renamed the assembly file. but the main problem is that some of the parts loose its positions and visibility state.

Best regards

Message 7 of 19
LeoWan

Publisher won't take the renamed assembly as the same one with previous file.  That's why update don't do anything. After you recover file from vault and do update, it is processed by the old assembly file and renamed part files. this is not what you expected.

Please try my previous steps and see if it resolve your problem.

Thanks,

Leo

Message 8 of 19
Timmy_Stalnacke

Hi!

that exactly what i have done (your previous steps) that when the whole model mess up.

Message 9 of 19
LeoWan

Hi Timmy,
Would you mind provide your files both of the inventor files and ipb files before and after renamed for us to investigate?

Regards,
Leo
Message 10 of 19
Timmy_Stalnacke

Yes i can !

please send me a upload link!

Message 11 of 19
LeoWan

I have received your files. We are investigating it. I will keep you posted.

Regards,
Leo
Message 12 of 19
Timmy_Stalnacke

Great!

Message 13 of 19
Timmy_Stalnacke

Hi!

Any updates about my files?

i did go back to the file before name uppdate.
and uppdate it from local disk.
everything seems to working fine, exept thar some of the parts still have lost its positions and visibility state.
because the risk that the file would be corrupt as the last one did i check in the file in Vault (i kept the file checkt out all time) frequently. so i could go back if the file was coutrupt again.
and of course after a couples of hour working on the file it becomes corrupt.
and when i´m get a earlier version from the valt its coruppt as well!
So now i'm about to start from scratch.

THIS IS NOT OK.

Inventor Publisher would be a super program if its works as it should (and what we paid for) but i'm about to feel fed up with it.

Message 14 of 19

I'm still waiting for a solution for all ours files that we have to uppdate!
i have try them in R1 but the files still get corrupt after i couples hours of working with them.

Message 15 of 19

Hi,

Sorry for the late respond, we are still working on this and haven't got the solution.

Thanks

Irene (irene.chen@autodesk.com)

Message 16 of 19

OK

Message 17 of 19
FrankZhou

Hi Timmy,

This is Frank, we have looked into your issue. We found your issue is as designed from software perspective. The reason is we use different logics to handle the name changes for parts and sub-assemblies, for a part, everything associated with this part will be kept after update, while for a sub-assembly, it is a completely replace, that means everything associated with this sub-assembly will get lost.

We're sorry about the situation you're in. Consider your company has changed the naming system, so we're willing to provide you a temporary solution for this case, if your sub-assembly changes don't include any model change in the sub-assemblies.

Let me explain more below:

If your change only limited to the names of sub-assemblies, we will provide you a private package with some instructions to install the package. With this package you can update the names to the new naming system you're using, and keeps everything associated with the sub-assembly, while if there's any model changes, the situation will become much more complicated.

So please write me a mail "frank.zhou@autodesk.com" and tell me the following:

1: Which version of Publisher you're using and which SP you've installed

2: Which OS you're using? XP, Win7? 64 bit or 32 bit?

3: Does the sub-assembly changes only limit to name changes?

Regards,

Frank

Message 18 of 19
Timmy_Stalnacke
in reply to: FrankZhou

Hi Sorry about the late answer.

here comes the information you asked about.

1: Inventor Publisher 2013 SP3
2: we using Win7 x64.
3: Most of the subassembly have just been name changed.

Thanks for the support.

Best regards.
Timmy

Message 19 of 19
FrankZhou

Hi Timmy,

Please try the attached package, this is just a temporary fix for only your naming rule changing issue. Should you have any question or problem, please let me know, we're glad to provide any help we can.

Regards,

Frank

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report