Inventor Publisher
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Publisher Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor Publisher topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Publisher 2013 R1 and is there an alternative?

28 REPLIES 28
SOLVED
Message 1 of 29
VictorBDEngineer
2142 Views, 28 Replies

Problems with Publisher 2013 R1 and is there an alternative?

Can anyone suggest some tutorials on using Inventor Studio to generate pictures of the build up an assembly like that can be done with Inventor Publisher.

The latest version of Publisher 2013 R1 will not me let me insert a model or for that matter it will not even create an empty file without crashing. Plenty of crash reports but no respone about the problem.

So I am having to resort to looking for alternatives to get my project completed. Publisher 2013 works fine but it can not open Inventor 2014 files.

So I am looking at using Inventor Studio but I have the feeling that it is not up to the job. As far as I can see it just produces animations which is not what I want.

Is there a Publisher alternative out there?

Regards
Victor Pringle

28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29

I'm investigating the option to get a "reprint" of part of a book, the chapter I wrote about Inventor Studio.

The book Mastering Autodesk Inventor 2009 had a chapter (16) in it that was an in depth discussion about Studio with examples.

Should my request get approved, I will let you know how to access the information.

-Bill Bogan

Message 3 of 29

I have managed to find a copy of "Mastering Autodesk Inventor 2010" and the chapter you suggested.

The problem I have now is trying to map the  Inventor Studio paradigrams to Publishers. Like how do I move a part and get a trail back to its original position? How do I add annotations and call outs with part numbers? In all I do not think Inventor Studio is up to the job but as I can not get Publisher 2013 R1 to work I have little option but to try and use it.

Is there any way of converting Inventor 2014 files back to Inventor 2013 so that I can use Publisher 2013?

Message 4 of 29

You are right; Inventor Studio has limited capability and isn't designed to provide a "Publisher" type experience. It is for rendering images and video animations of products. Its strength is that it allows you to animate components, constraints, parameters, cameras, and lights to produce the output.

I misunderstood your original post, thinking you wanted only to output images of an assembly build up. Which you can do with studio. The video output choices are sequential images or video, so it would be possible to post-process the images to add whatever you want, but it would become tedious as you add the content over numerous frames.

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

Message 5 of 29

I have no problem with Publisher as a program and I think it is a great product.

The issue I have is that Publisher 2013 works fine on my computer but Publisher 2013 R1 does not.

I have moved onto Inventor 2014 which does not work with Publisher 2013. As Publisher 2013 R1 refuses to work I am now screwed and have to look for an alternative.

Is there any way of converting Inventor 2014 files back to Inventor 2013, surely there cant be that much difference between them?

Regards

Victor Pringle

Message 6 of 29
DarrenP
in reply to: VictorBDEngineer

@VictorBDEngineer wrote:

Is there any way of converting Inventor 2014 files back to Inventor 2013, surely there cant be that much difference between them?

Regards

Victor Pringle

no there is no saving down in inventor you can export as a step file but you lose your feature history

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 29
VictorBDEngineer
in reply to: DarrenP

Thank you, you are a life saver.

It had not occured to me to export the model in another format.

I exported my Inventor 2014 assembly into a STEP file and loaded it into Publisher 2013. Everything was there and Publisher 2013 works fine.

So I can still use Inventor 2014 and publish with Publisher 2013.

Publisher 2013 R1 is going into the trash until they come up with a version thats works for me.

Regards

Victor Pringle

Message 8 of 29

Found out it is better to export in DWF format that also gives you a parts list which is not available with the STEP export.

Message 9 of 29

I still can not get Publisher 2013 R1 to work. It crashes without any error reports when I either try to create a new file or try to insert a model into an existing file. Is there any fix for this?

regards

Victor Pringle

Message 10 of 29

Hello Victor,

Thank you for using Publisher and sorry to hear that you are still having problem with Publisher 2013 R1.  Have you tried to uninstall and re-install Publisher 2013 R1 to see if it works? Also, could you please let us know your detailed machine and OS specifications? Thank you!

Thanks,

-Huan

Inventor Publisher Team

Message 11 of 29

Yes I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling.

My system configuration is attached.

Regards

Victor

Message 12 of 29
training

Hi, when i first tried publisher it was the trial of 2013, and it was about the most crashy application i have ever used.

It had all the unreliability, crashed every 10 minutes and was not production ready.

Based on its reliability Autodesk were lucky to have sold another copy of it.

When we came to actually buying and using it we were taking no chances, so we started with a clean new PC and installed everything we use on it including Publisher 2013 R1 and its been not too bad since. Apart from all the other issues on this forum!

Steve 

Steven Dewar | STATS Group | 3D Animator

Win7Ent-64-SP1 | 32GB | Intel Core i7-4770CPU@3.40GHz | Quadro 4000 GPU
Message 13 of 29

Thanks for the quick reply, Victor.
Please allow me to check a few other things:
1. Have you installed the service pack for Publisher 2013 R1? We addressed a problem in Win 8.1 for Publisher 2013 R1.
http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-publisher/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autodesk-i...

2. Is this the only computer that you have problem using Publisher 2013 R1? Have you tried on other machines?
3. You also have Publisher 2013 installed on this notebook, right? Any other Autodesk products you have installed?

Thank you for more info.

-Huan Yu
Message 14 of 29

Applying the service pack made no difference.

I did have Publisher 2013 installed but I had a hard disk crash and I have not reinstall it.

I also have Inventor Professional 2015, 3ds Max 2015 and AutoCad 2015 installed although I dont use AutoCad.

Regards

Victor

Message 15 of 29
na.miao

Hi Victor, 

does publisher crash when you insert any files or just some file(inventor? solidworks?DWF?)

Is your win8.1 installed directly or updated from win8? and did you uninstall and re-install in win8.1 OS? 

thank you 

Na Miao(Autodesk)
Inventor Publisher QA
Message 16 of 29
VictorBDEngineer
in reply to: na.miao

Publisher 2013 R1 crashes when I try to create a file and when I try to insert a model in an existing file.

My win8.1 was an update of win8. I had had a hard disk crash and  I have been re installing all my software after upgrading to win8.1

I have just reinstalled Publisher 2013 and that is now not even starting.

Regards

Victor

Message 17 of 29
cts2013

I would suggest a deep-uninstall of previous versions using Revo Uninstaller (free version available). Then, try re-downloading the software and install - if you are installing from a copy you've had knocking around, it may have become corrupt. Try all of this with your AV software disabled.

Regards

CTS2013

- - - > Publisher 2016 running on: - - -

Intel Core i7 3770k @ 3.5Ghz
Quadro K4000
16GB RAM
Intel SSD
Win10 64bit
Message 18 of 29
VictorBDEngineer
in reply to: cts2013

Tried using Revo Uninstaller but with no success.

Publisher 2013 stops running when started with an exception (see attached snapshots). I have also attached the install logs in temp.zip.

Any other suggestions?

I am going to give up on this and wait for Publisher 2015 which is due end of this month. Hopefully I will have better luck with that.

In the mean time I might try Solidworks Composer.

Regards

Victor

Message 19 of 29

Well I have given Solidworks Composer a little try and it will do the job for me but not as well as Publisher. A little bit of a steep learning curve and some changes in my documentation procedures but I have to get the project out.

Because I cant get Publisher going I have unfortuneatly lost access to all my Publisher files which is a bit of a pain. Hopefully I will not have to use them in the near future. For my latest project I will go with Composer but for my next project I would like to go back to Publisher. Hopefully Publisher 2015 is a better product than 2013, 2013 R1 and works on my system.

regards

Victor

Message 20 of 29

Well I have downloaded and installed Publisher 2015 and surprise surprise it does not work. Selecting create new causes the program to exit with no error messages. I do not even get the chance to insert a model.

I can open an existing .ipb file and view it. If I then select 'New' the program once again crashes without any error messages. This is not very helpful.

I will continue using Solidworks Composer for future work and use Publisher 2015 to read my old .ipb files.

I am disappointed with this software.

Regards

Victor

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report