Inventor Publisher
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Publisher Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor Publisher topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Dimensions

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
jahed.ali
455 Views, 4 Replies

Problems with Dimensions

Hi All,

I really do not understand how they came up with the logic behind dimensioning in Publisher.

It is so annoying and it is not efficient at all!

Please see the attached file FYI. This menu copied from AutoCAD (PLEASE TALK TO AUTOCAD DEPARTMENT THESE THINGS ARE SO BASIC)

To me, the best logic is:

1. user select the plane for inserting dimensions
  2. select the method of dimensioning (see attached file)
  3. then put the dimensions using different snap points

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
bowen192
in reply to: jahed.ali

I agree with this, also.

I think it was redesigned so folk who had never used Inventor would be able to pick it up quickly.

The process is so simple in Inventor though, I'm not sure what difference it makes. 

Message 3 of 5
TimeraAutodesk
in reply to: bowen192

You've got it! We pride ourselves on being adaptable to users who do not have (and don't need to have) CAD expereince to complete their technical documentation projects.

The dimension workflow solution we have implemented is simple and easy for non-novices to pick up and learn with very little training. If you have a specific enhancement or change0 request please feel free to post.

Thanks,

Timera

Message 4 of 5
jahed.ali
in reply to: TimeraAutodesk

I understand your attitude. But, have you ever spend some time on who is actually using Publisher? A dummy user who was not involve in designing process or somebody or a team who designed a system on Inventor and now wants to have a nice fitting instructions or animation?

In my opinion who ever design something in Inventor (a person or a team) usually and preferably use Publisher to finish the process and these people are not dummy users. So, their demands are different.

Let's say you want to develop the environment for dummies. But, why don't you follow the logic of Ribbons introduced by Microsoft? In that respect, you will have a little arrow in the bottom corner of the ribbon to expand the menu for professional users. 

Message 5 of 5
TimeraAutodesk
in reply to: jahed.ali

Yes, I spend most of my time every day working directly with customers who use Publisher to create presentations, but thanks for asking for that clarification. Quite frankly, we find that most of the time it is the Technical Communications and Publications department (NOT engineering) who is creating this documentation, which is one very important reason why we tailor our UI and process toward non-engineers.

We appreciate that you are familiar with engineering products, and there are some useful processes we can learn from them, but please know that being like any of these other CAD products (Inventor, AutoCAD, etc.) is not our main objective, so please keep that in mind when providing your feedback.

Thanks,

Timera

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report