Inventor Publisher
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Publisher Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor Publisher topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Publisher 2011 to 2012

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
stevenguy
686 Views, 9 Replies

Moving Publisher 2011 to 2012

Hi !

We have some file created in Pub 2011 and now we ready to move to 2012 and find out some file ok but some keep crashing the Pub 2012.

I have Sp1 for 2012 install the file I am try to open is work five with 2011 but not 2012.

I see some improvement in 2012 and other good feature but it keep crashing with large assembly.

Autodesk please let me know if my step moving 2011 Pub to 2012 is right or wrong.

This is testing only we still using 2011 Inventor & Pub & vault for production.

I pack & go from 2011 vault with all children and include file.

I open the assembly with Inventor 2012 and migrated all file , library and style to 2012 format save and check in vault 2012.

I open my Publisher file and hit save it sit there for 5 to 10 minutes and crash (see the attachment).

This file size around 200 to 220 mb it is big but it work with 2011 slow but it work.

I try 2 time and give up. I can recreated the new Publisher with same assy. But we have a lot of work already put in this Pub's file.

Please let me know what I done wrong.

Thanks

Steve Nguyen
CAD Admin/ Eng
Inventor Pro, Inventor Publisher & Vault 2016
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5690 @3.47GHz (2 processors)
Mem 48.0 GB
OS Win 8.1 64-bit
Graphic Card: Quadro FX 4800
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
dmjessup
in reply to: stevenguy

Just guessing at some of the settings I found in 2012. Before loading the file, check the FIDELITY slider (VIEW tab, 2nd from the last). I move the slider all the way down to load large files and no longer have crashes on large projects.

Message 3 of 10
stevenguy
in reply to: dmjessup

Thanks

I can do all that setting if I making a new Publisher file.

Open an existing one I don't see any option.

Steve Nguyen
CAD Admin/ Eng
Mem 48.0 GB
OS Win 8.1 64-bit
Message 4 of 10

Steve,

Would it be possible to share your ipb file? I would like to take a look at this file. Please email me rajkumar.ilanchelian@autodesk.com and I can send you a secure ftp site to upload the file. If you have a means to share it please do so too.

Also just out of curiosity if you eliminate Vault from this workflow what happens (Download the ipb file locally and then save in 2012)?

Thanks,
-Raj (Autodesk)
Message 5 of 10

Thanks for offer help but I can't send you the file we have.

This project we work on is belong to goverment and we can't just send file out.

I am still using IP 2011 R1 and we have IP 2012 but we have to move together with the engineer who use Inventor and vault.

I did built a local server and client for 2012 Inventor, Vault & Publisher so I can do some test.

I see some good feature from IP and some performent improved but the problem we have is still there.

I am not sure our server data base or what but we can't open large (IP) file from vault or check-in to vault.

If I created a new IP file with Inventor .iam has around 2000 different parts and the total count about 10,000 to 15,000

it take very slow but we can move around and work. Then if I added that file to vault so other can use then I can't full it out from vault to work or other. This is one big problem.

Second problem if the Inventor file has an update then we need to take update then we have to start the new file agian because we can't update.

A year ago we compare the Publisher with 3Dvia Composer and I told my company that I like IP more than 3Dvia because we use Inventor for design and IP can take the file format direct from INventor and update.

and the price for IP is cheaper than 3Dvia and use is easy too.

But the performent 3Dvia composer is way better.

Now I have 4 I seat and we try to stay in small file and keep all file in local.

I am not say this whole problem from the software I think it is also a hardware.

We are in the middle changing out the server 32 bit 2005 to 64 bit 2008 and faster processor

I also built a client PC with server motherboather that can take more them one processor.

I am try every thing I can and I hope Autodesk doing your part to make the software performent better.

I don't like the idea to send you the file then you fix the file and send back.

Thanks

Steve Nguyen
CAD Admin/ Eng
Mem 48.0 GB
OS Win 8.1 64-bit
Message 6 of 10

Steve,

The reason I asked for the file is so that we can reproduce the problem from our side and see what the real issue is. It is going to be extremely difficult for us to provide a solution if we do not have a reproducible case.  Having said that I believe the hardware upgrades you mentioned should improve Publisher experience greatly. Moving to a 64 bit platform should let you handle bigger assemblies within Publisher.

On the other hand, I would like to know a little more about your workflow in using this large assembly.

1. Does your storyboard involve using the “entire” assembly?
  2. Would using LOD’s to downsize the model work for your output that you are trying to achieve?
  3. With such huge assemblies would it be possible to  break it down to several IPB files?
  4. What publish format are you targeting?
Thanks,
-Raj (Autodesk)
Message 7 of 10

Thanks

The first storyboard will have what ever the assembly bring in from Inventor. Then we made second storyboard then we turn off what we don't want to see or manual move part around and added anotation or warning label.

I am not sure IP 2011 can use LOD from Inventor file. I think IP 2012 use the LOD but no control yet.

We do have small sub assembly but some time you have to be in the big assembly to identifile the small assembly.

or creating some final instruction for assembly.

We don't have any problem out the IP file to what we use. We use picture .jpg or some time we snap shot the screen.

Thanks

Steve Nguyen
CAD Admin/ Eng
Mem 48.0 GB
OS Win 8.1 64-bit
Message 8 of 10
stevenguy
in reply to: stevenguy

Hardware upgrade.

Over the weekend I upgrade the new server 64 bit sql2008 and 16 GB of ram.

NOw I can open all the large from vault to local an work and check back in to vault.

Gettinf the update IP file with Inventor is very long and some time it crash.

Today I was able to open a IP file from vault around 350 MB and after it open I check it out and hit update it took about 1 1/2 hrs after the I was able to check it back in vault and the file size around 480 MB.

Then I deleted local copy and open IP file from vault and this time I have unknown error but the file open up except I only have 1 storyboard and I lost the other 4 storyboard. I don't know why yet.

One problem after another. Hummmmmmmm

Thanks for playing

Steve Nguyen
CAD Admin/ Eng
Mem 48.0 GB
OS Win 8.1 64-bit
Message 9 of 10

Steve,

The unknown error that occurs after an Inventor update is a known issue. We have a fix for this that we have been testing and should be available soon. Lately we have been fixing customer files related to unknown error and sending it back to them (We do this until the fix is released). I know you mentioned that you will not be able to share the files because of confidentiality reasons. Would signing an NDA help to send the files? It will be a huge plus if we can investigate the issues with your files.

Thanks,
-Raj (Autodesk)
Message 10 of 10

After upgrade the server to 64 bit and 18 GB of ram I was able to open the IP file from vault and the file size around 350 MB and check did the update and check it back to vault the file size around 480 MB and it has 5 storyboard.

I deleted the local copy then reopen from vault. I was able to down the file from vault and Publisher startup and it has unknown error but the file open but the file is not the same. it only has one storyboard. I try few more time and it is the same.

Thanks

Do you have any hotfix for IP 2011 R1?

I have IP 2012 on subcription but I can't use it yet until our engineering move Inventor to 2012.

Steve Nguyen
CAD Admin/ Eng
Mem 48.0 GB
OS Win 8.1 64-bit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report