Inventor Publisher
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Publisher Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor Publisher topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insert trouble

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
FNK
Enthusiast
431 Views, 7 Replies

Insert trouble

Hi all,

I'm trying to use Invento Publisher, and I'm trying to import CAD files provided by our customer.

I've tried importing CATIA V5 and JT files assemblies, but every time Publisher reports the error "the file doesn't contain 3D objects". It works with .model CATIA V4 files, but doesn't work with .CATProduct, .cgr and .jt files.

What's the matter?

Does anyone knows if there's a format compatibility list?

Thanks in advance

Francesco MUZI

Digital Content Creation & Virtual Reality
Innovative Technologies Dept

ISSELNORD srl

Via Trieste 4, loc. Ceparana
19020 Follo, La Spezia (Italy)
Tel. +39 0187 941414
Fax +39 0187 941420
www.isselnord.it
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
bowen192
in reply to: FNK

The format compatibility list is in the help file;

Can't help beyond this, sorry.

Message 3 of 8
FNK
Enthusiast
in reply to: bowen192

Thank you for your help, I've just seen the help page.

The problem is that CATProduct format is a very general specification, the version release is not indicated (from R7 up to R18, as far as I know).The same for jt format.

I think this makes the difference, I'm not supposing that the importers doesn't works, but it could be a reason.

Browsing the community I also saw that almost nobody uses other CAD format except Inventor files (.iam, .ipt).

Thank you.

Francesco MUZI

ISSELNORD srl

Tel. +39 0187 941414
Fax +39 0187 941420
www.isselnord.it
Message 4 of 8
TimeraAutodesk

Publisher does not support mesh import - that's the problem you are running into here. I've seen this issue arise with a couple CATIA files, and the reason you are getting the error is because there quite literally isn't any 3D geometry in the file for Publisher to reference. A combination of surfaces or meshes won't translate into Publisher at this time. As long as there is solid 3D content, Publisher will import CATIA files with ease.

Thank you,

Timera Hart

Autodesk

Message 5 of 8
FNK
Enthusiast

Sorry, but I don't understand your answer.

cgr files are meshes, as far as I know, or I'm wrong?

And all files I've tried to import comes from CATIA, as a structure of CATProduct and cgr files.

Also jt structure is made of an assembly files and parts.

This means that Publisher isn't able to import those kind of files, or I should treat them in a different way?

I'm quite disoriented ...

Thank you in advance for any advice and/or help.

Francesco MUZI

ISSELNORD srl

Tel. +39 0187 941414
Fax +39 0187 941420
www.isselnord.it
Message 6 of 8
TimeraAutodesk

cgr files do not contain 3D content. All of the content is constructed as mesh data. Just because the file has "parts and assemblies" does not mean that the content is 3D.

Publisher will ONLY import files which contain 3D data, not mesh data (as seen in .cgr)

Does that clear it up for you?

Timera

Message 7 of 8
FNK
Enthusiast

Ok that's right, don't be upset.

What I'm saying is that, why cgr & jt format are listed in compatible format files available for import.

I found that at the moment, the only format suitable for import is ipt or iam format. I've succeded in importing some dwg files, but you must have hours of spare time to wait the import conmpletion.

All other formats (except pro/e, I've not tested yet) produces the same error report.

Thank you very much for your help.

Francesco MUZI

ISSELNORD srl

Tel. +39 0187 941414
Fax +39 0187 941420
www.isselnord.it
Message 8 of 8
TimeraAutodesk

Hi There -

The reason cgr, etc. is available from the import dialog is because those formats are capable of being imported when they have 3D content in them. Cgr files can be created as having meshes -or- 3D solid geometry. When there is 3D geometry within the file, it will import into Publisher just fine.

Also, there are many other formats suitable for import other than ipt/iam. Dwg, dwf, step, Pro/E, IGS, etc. all import with fidelity. I'm not sure why it's taking you "hours" to import DWG files however. Are the dwg files particularly heavy? Converting a dwg to a dwf will significantly reduce the file size if so, and make it's insert into Publisher much faster, but DWG's almost always import relatviely quickly in my experience.

Good luck!

Timera

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report