Inventor Publisher
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Publisher Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor Publisher topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPM file viewer for pc

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
fsanchou
3340 Views, 16 Replies

IPM file viewer for pc

I have not read if the subject has already been processed, is there a ipm file viewer for PC?

Before sending the link (publication to mobile) to someone I would like to verify that the ipm file is correct but I do not have iphone or Android smartphone.
Thanks
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
TimeraAutodesk
in reply to: fsanchou

Thanks for your post. At this time we do not have a desktop IPMV viewer. The only way to review an IPM file is on a mobile device.

We understand the request for a desktop viewer, however, and have taken that into consideration for future development.

Thank you,

Timera Hart

Autodesk

Message 3 of 17
Esky99!
in reply to: TimeraAutodesk

Is this possible yet? Last post was in YR 2012
Message 4 of 17
training

I think Autodesk is being economical with the truth on this one. There is a PC viewer, they built it for Lego.

They did a lot of work for Lego on interactive 3D custom Inventor Publisher apps and installers in the last few years. From what i have seen, they have more features than they have currently released to the main customer base. So I really hope that its a testbed project. 

This is the PC installer for the 3D lego instructions.

http://www.lego.com/en-gb/mindstorms/downloads/software/ddsoftwaredownload/

I was going to try and see if i could drop in Ipub files somehow. Its running on silverlight and other tech.

Search on iStore for lego apps, and there are 2 that have 3D instructions, that are better than the Ipub app itself. They can do this! 

The Lego interactive iPad app seems to have more custom features in it that i would like to use. Trails work, styles work, glows, click to jump to snapshots etc. There is even an overview button to overlay the whole model transparently that we dont have. 

There online 3D is as badly implimented as the our stuff tho, the interactivity and rotaion points are still all over the place, I think its trying to Raycast to the object infront of the camera to give a camera rotation point, but its as terrible as the 360 implimentation you all hate as much as i do.

http://www.us.lego.com/en-gb/mindstorms/community/bi/

I've been building interactive 3D serious games for a decade, and Autodesk are really a long way behind for me. 

This is what they should be aspiring to. 

http://hwd3d.com/3d-interactive-training/

I also want to do interactive 3D assessment next. Anyone know a good way to go on that one?

Cheers, Steve

Steven Dewar | STATS Group | 3D Animator

Win7Ent-64-SP1 | 32GB | Intel Core i7-4770CPU@3.40GHz | Quadro 4000 GPU
Message 5 of 17
TimeraAutodesk
in reply to: fsanchou

Hi All,

Thanks for reviving this thread.

Yes, we have had an interactive Web Viewer available for quite some time now - since the 2013 R1 release actually. The LEGO example is actually just a skinned version of the viewer you already have access to in Autodesk 360.

When you Publish to your A360 account, that file can be viewed either on the mobile app, or on the web, and can be shared with others. Log into your Autodesk 360 account to see your files (anything with the extention .INSTRUCTION is your viewable publiished file). Click on one and the web viewer will automatically launch. Use the "Share" function from the "Actions" dropdown of any of these files to share privately or publicly like this: http://a360.co/YHjzcI 

-Timera

Message 6 of 17
training

Hi, i think your talking about the skinned lego web viewer. Here, Similar to the A 360 viewer.

http://www.us.lego.com/en-gb/mindstorms/community/bi/show?model=EV3RSTORM&mission=01

Im talking about the downloadable, installable PC application, that allows me to look at 3D instructions on the PC. Here

http://www.lego.com/en-gb/mindstorms/downloads/software/ddsoftwaredownload/download-software/

Regards, Steve

Message 7 of 17
TimeraAutodesk
in reply to: training

Hi Steve,

The 0-client Web Viewer can be used on a PC... many of our customers are utilizing it on PC's this way actually, and we have found that by not having an installer, it makes the process much easier and the data more accessible. Is there a reason you'd want a physical installer to view your content instead?

Also, we were not involved in the Home Edition EV3 Software for LEGO MINDSTORMS. We were only involved with the Web Viewer and 3D Builder Mobile Application. 

Thanks,
Timera

Message 8 of 17
training

Hi, I realise that what I want to do is outside the scope of A360 at this time.

BUT: I'm building 3D interactive training using InvPub, and this is very IP sensitive engineering.

The issue is, that at this time your solutions for deploying this [in house, on PCs] are either impossible to manage, or totally unsecure.

I c ant lock this down to the PCs here, as you dont have an IP fence, or geolocation fence, and i cant host this off our servers to the training machines either.

I can only use A360. The issue with A360 is, that I am forced to share each individual file, to each potential user, manually so each file can be shared, but not downloaded. This is not manageable with over 50 files. 

I cant share a folder of files as A360 forces all the content of a shared folder to be downloadable - not what i want!

The only way i can do it, is to share each file publically, create an embed link, and embed each in an internal webpage, hosted 3D is on A360.

But all it takes is someone to copy the webpage source, and its open for everone that has it.

Sharing to the iPad/iPhone is totally unsecure as well. The publisher viewer has no password and it saves all the files viewed previously, so if one of the ipads was lost, every previously downloaded and viewed file on it is viewable with no password.

So your ecosystem for inventor publisher 3D is totally unsecure for IP related content that i would like to keep in house, and not let others see for our training.

I've had our software supplier in to try and find a solution, but they cant, they only suggest to wait until the new A360 release in the works might fix this.

I would hope that this is all fixed then.

You have a lot of information on how secure your servers are, but you have a gaping set of issues for people that have IP issues, and want to keep things in house only.

Thats why i want to know if i can host this on PCs ourselves with a stand alone viewer, because im forced for security reasons by your A360 setup to look for a better way to do it.

Cheers, Steve

Message 9 of 17
brandegee.pierce
in reply to: training

So I have created a file in InvPub, uploaded to A360 and it never allows me to view it.  Even when I download the app to my ipad or nexus, they never download.  Not sure if there is something wrong.  Its always stays at "Generating Preview..."

http://a360.co/1LUDzG0

Message 10 of 17

Hi Brandegee,

I tried to publish your ipb file to web/mobile and saw the same issue that it always stays at "Generating Preview..." on A360. It looks there is translation issue for this specific ipb file on our server side. Before we can provide a fix, please try this work around to view the file on the mobile device:

1, In Publisher, publish to Web and Mobile, select "Save Locally", so you will get an ipm file
2, Email the ipm file as attachment to yourself or another email account
3, Open the email on your mobile device, iPad or Nexus
4, If you try to open the ipm file, it will give you a few apps to open it, select "Open in Publisher Viewer"

Sorry for the inconvenience.

-Huan
Message 11 of 17

Thank you Huan,

That worked perfectly.  Infact, that might be a better solution than even accessing them on your network.  Everything actually looks really good.

My next question is... Is there a way to play one step at a time? Currently when I hit play, it plays all steps in a row.

Thank you Huan and Timera for you help with my issues with Publisher.

Brandegee Pierce

Message 12 of 17

Hi Brandegee,

Good to know that works for you.

For "play one step at a time", if you hit the "forward" button on the right of the play bar, you can play the animation step by step. Please see if that is what you want. Thanks.

-Huan
Message 13 of 17

It kind of does what I want,  what the button on the bottom does is jump to the next step, I was hoping there was a way to play rather than jump from step to step.

Thank you,

Brandegee Pierce

Also, is there a PC program that will allow clients to download and view files I send them.  Either they are sensitve files or they don't plan on being attached to the internet at some points?

Message 14 of 17

Also, I created a second file, and posted that to the A360 Drive, and same thing as before, freezes at "Generating Preview".  I don't really know how to view this with a PC unless someone has Publisher.  Only option that is working for me is e-mailing the "mobile" file and opening with the mobile app.

http://a360.co/1CLvgsU

Message 15 of 17

Hi Brandegee,

So, there are a few issues here:

1, For the freezes at "Generating Preview", it looks this is specific to your files but there is problem definitely on our server side or web viewer side. We will look into this issue and provide solution for future update/release.
2, We only have mobile viewer and web viewer for Publisher, no PC viewer. If the file can not be viewed in the web viewer due to issues, users can only use the mobile viewer.

The issues are well tracked for the future updates and releases of Publisher. Sorry for the inconvenience for now.

-Huan

BTW, the "play one step at a time" is also tracked.
Message 16 of 17

Thank you Huan,

I look forward to the updates.

Message 17 of 17
pollmank

I am a teacher that uses Inventor mobile files from PLTW on I-Pads to build robots. We have PC's that have Inventor installed on them that I would like to view the mobile files on, is that possible?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report