Inventor Publisher
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Publisher Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor Publisher topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How should I put out to PDF?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
magnus.damgren
1260 Views, 9 Replies

How should I put out to PDF?

Hi

We've have a huge problem when we want to publish our work to PDF.
We want it to look like the picture in the zipped file, but we get the result you see in the PDF.

Anyone with great ideas here?
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Hi Magnus,

I think there's a setting on text boxes that makes them automatically scale and vice-versa. Have you tried that?

Regards,

Alex.
Message 3 of 10

I've tried with both auto Size turned on and off.
Same result. Edited by: magnus.damgren on May 20, 2010 11:55 AM
Message 4 of 10

That's what I thought you'd say. 😞

It seems that it simply can't cope with outputting text boxes as per the screen setup - for .pdf format at least.

Have you tried the other available formats? What results do they produce?
Message 5 of 10

Publisher tries to keep the annotations "readable" when you publish to a lower-resolution target, hence they look bigger relative to the model. The default for PDF output is 640x480, and you are probably authoring at a much larger size (i.e., the size of the Publisher window). There are two ways to deal with this: (1) Change the size of the Publisher window so that it is 640x480 (actually the inside "canvas" must be that size). (2) Go into the PDF template file (assuming you have Adobe Acrobat) and change the name of the "image" field to have the resolution that you desire. Then make the Publisher window match that size. The template files are located under a folder called something like this: C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Inventor Publisher 2011\Templates (see the help for more details).

If you publish to an 'image' format, the default size is the window size, so you end up with WYSIWYG. It doesn't work that way for PDF or Word or certain other formats.

Hope this helps.

Jon Balgley
Message 6 of 10

That's useful to know, thanks Jon.

The trouble is that I run two 20" monitors at 1600x1200 resolution; From what you have said this means that if I want Publisher to output usable snapshot images to my word template at 800x600 resolution that I have to change the resolution on the monitor that is running publisher to match the desired output size?

This makes no sense. 😞

Edit: After re-reading your post Jon, it's actually worse than making the overall monitor resolution smaller; without a third party application it's almost impossible to guess the resolution of a window within an application. Edited by: vegbruiser on May 21, 2010 11:59 AM
Message 7 of 10

I don't want to defend this behavior, because of course it is not ideal. But here is some more info:

* As you figured out, you don't have to change the monitor size, just the window size.
* Yes, it's hard to set the size of the inside-canvas. But it doesn't need to be exactly right, either. As long as it’s “close”, then you probably won’t notice any dramatic movements of the annotations.
* You can use a larger size window (of the correct aspect ratio), if you publish at a lower DPI. For example, if your window size is 1600x1200, and you want to publish at 800x600, AND you want annotations to remain proportional (what you see is what you get -- WYSIWYG), then you can publish to a “Custom…” size (800x600) and select 36 dpi (72/(1600/800)) (where 72 is “standard” screen DPI, 1600 is the width of the window, and 800 is the width of the output). You may not like “what you get” because the annotations will be fairly tiny.

Hope this helps.

--Jon

Jon Balgley
Message 8 of 10
Ahatz
in reply to: magnus.damgren

John,

Can you explain the process that is used to alter the resolution of the images from within the templates?

I have Adobe Acrobat Standard, but I can't seem to figure out how to edit the resoultion.

Thanks

Alex

Message 9 of 10

First off, we recognize that the following is inconvenient, at best. 

In order to do this for PDF, you need Adobe Acrobat or another tool capable of editing PDF files. 

1. In Acrobat, open the appropriate PDF template file, found here:

• Windows XP - \\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Autodesk\Inventor Publisher XXXX\Templates
  • Windows Vista - \\ProgramData\Autodesk\Inventor Publisher XXXX\Templates

2. Use “Forms --> Add or Edit Fields…”

3. Find the “Snapshot/Image[640x480]” field.

4. Change the name to be “Snapshot/Image[1600x1200]” … and use the actual size of your Publisher window, in pixels, for the “width-x-height”  values. 

This same concept applies for publishing to Word and Powerpoint.  Publisher automatically uses “window size” by default when publishing to “image” formats.

If you have further questions or comments, please reply here.

Jon Balgley
Message 10 of 10
Ahatz
in reply to: magnus.damgren

Thanks John!...I'll give it a try

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report